Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sewage smell in house

Options
  • 25-07-2018 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

I have a very bad smell of sewage in my house coming mostly from the main bathroom but also the utility room where the washing machine is located.

The main bathroom isn't used often but I've made sure the water traps are full. This has usually resolved minor but similar problems in the past, however, this time it hasn't - in fact it's never been so bad. Despite the bathroom window open the smell there is wicked.

The house next door (attached semi d) is being renovated. Perhaps their works is forcing bad odours up my pipework....

Any thoughts would be very appreciated. I will get a plumber out tomorrow if it doesn't improve fairly promptly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

Blocked Drain

Blocked w/m outlet.

Blocked soil vent.

Dead rodent under floor/pipe

Room vent/extractor blocked

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Is this a new thing or has it always been like that?

It could be that the basin & bath are plumed incorrectly . As the toilet flushes it can cause a vacuum & suck the water out of the bath & basin trap letting smells & gas in from the sewer.

The multiwick at the back of the toilet mightn't be sitting correctly again letting smells in

And everything filbert the fox listed too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Is there a trap on the washing machine waste ? An often overlooked one and helps with air tightness too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭kaymin

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Is this a new thing or has it always been like that?

It could be that the basin & bath are plumed incorrectly . As the toilet flushes it can cause a vacuum & suck the water out of the bath & basin trap letting smells & gas in from the sewer.

The multiwick at the back of the toilet mightn't be sitting correctly again letting smells in

And everything filbert the fox listed too

Thanks for the reply. It arises every month or two but goes away after I run the shower and the taps in the sink. Flushing the toilet doesn't seem to cause the water traps to empty. Smell has gone away today after two days of being very bad. How easy is it for a good plumber to diagnose an issue even when the smell is not a problem when they're here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭kaymin

Is there a trap on the washing machine waste ? An often overlooked one and helps with air tightness too

Yes, the washing machine waste pipe has a u-bend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭rightjob!

kaymin wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. It arises every month or two but goes away after I run the shower and the taps in the sink. Flushing the toilet doesn't seem to cause the water traps to empty. Smell has gone away today after two days of being very bad. How easy is it for a good plumber to diagnose an issue even when the smell is not a problem when they're here?

Next time the smell is there have a look in the basin trap and shower trap.
    Whatever one has no water in it is causing the problem.

Advertisement