Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cube Attain

Options
  • 24-07-2018 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all,
    Hoping to get some guidance on a choice between:

Cube Attain SL Disc (Aluminum bike with hydraulic disc brakes) 1399
    Vs
    Cube Attain GTC Pro (Carbon bike with rim brakes) 1599

Keen to get a comfortable endurance bike. Both are 105.
    Is it always better stretching to carbon or in this case is the aluminum with hydraulic brakes the better purchase?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'd be going for the GTC. Discs are a "nicety" that add a tiny bit of benefit every now and then, the carbon benefits you the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭rayman1

I would definitely go for the GTC Pro.
    Rim brakes are perfectly adequate unless you intend to ride a lot in heavy rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭jamesd

Another option would be about €300 more and get the ATTAIN GTC Race Disc for €1899 , Discs and ultegra mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

New models will be out soon so hold fire for either a better model or reduced 2018 models.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 pjs13

Thanks all.
    Much appreciated.
    Budget won't stretch to the Attain GTC Race Disc.
    Will keep a look out for any discounts on 2018 models

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 cromcruach

I've lived and toured with an Attain SL Disc for 18 months, and while it's a really good bike it is quite a stiff ride. If you got a chance to try both see if you're happy with it. If I was buying again I'd pay a bit more for the carbon equivalent.

cromcruach wrote: »
    I've lived and toured with an Attain SL Disc for 18 months, and while it's a really good bike it is quite a stiff ride. If you got a chance to try both see if you're happy with it. If I was buying again I'd pay a bit more for the carbon equivalent.

Thanks a mill that’s really helpful. I’m not sure if the funds will stretch to the carbon with hydraulic discs.

Can I ask you based on your experience of both the hydraulic discs on the Attain and the aluminum frame - would you go for the entry carbon Attain? The one with the rim brakes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 cromcruach

I bought it mostly as a winter bike so wanted hydraulic discs and mudguards. The Cubeguards are great but apparently discontinued. Also wanted thru-axles as I'd had poor experience with QR and mechanical discs. Waited until sales and got it for about €900.
    I suppose you'd have to think about your own usage to make that call? If it's mostly fair weather cycling then rim brakes are grand.

I bought it mostly as a winter bike so wanted hydraulic discs and mudguards. The Cubeguards are great but apparently discontinued. Also wanted thru-axles as I'd had poor experience with QR and mechanical discs. Waited until sales and got it for about €900.
    I suppose you'd have to think about your own usage to make that call? If it's mostly fair weather cycling then rim brakes are grand.

Thanks. Hoping to use as my main bike.
    Usage all year round plus sportives and charity events.

Cubeguards can be got again, I went out and purchased 2 spare sets of them 3 weeks ago.

• Advertisement

In november I got my cube attain disc with 105 reduced from €1900 to €1450 in the sales as the new models were just released so they were selling off the current models.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

I've lived and toured with an Attain SL Disc for 18 months, and while it's a really good bike it is quite a stiff ride.

Can confirm the stiff ride part, it's the same on an older model of the same bike and hasn't gotten any better after about 20,000Kms on it. Solid entry level road bike though.

jamesd wrote: »
    In november I got my cube attain disc with 105 reduced from €1900 to €1450 in the sales as the new models were just released so they were selling off the current models.

That’s a great price for the Attain GTC disc - can I ask which bike store?

pjs13 wrote: »
    That’s a great price for the Attain GTC disc - can I ask which bike store?

Buckley Bikes Athlone, you need to wait until the new bikes are in and he puts the sale prices up on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭youtheman

Cubeguards can be got again, I went out and purchased 2 spare sets of them 3 weeks ago.
    Where did you get them?. I've been waiting almost 2 years for them to become available again.

youtheman wrote: »
    Where did you get them?. I've been waiting almost 2 years for them to become available again.

https://www.infinitycycles.co.uk/858/products/cube-mudguard-attain.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Where did you find them?
    I'm not seeing them online

P.S O.P I have an attain sl. I also have a carbon disc Merida 5000 which is as plush a ride as you'll find
    With 28 tyres at 90 psi I wouldn't choose the Merida over the attain for comfort
    R
    Thanks

cajonlardo wrote: »
    Where did you find them?
    I'm not seeing them online
    Thanks

https://www.infinitycycles.co.uk/858/products/cube-mudguard-attain.aspx

Advertisement