Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Authority Job Panel

Options
  • 24-07-2018 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Hi all,

Looking for some opinions, I have just been placed 12th on a panel for a Local Authority job, does anyone know what the chances are of being offered a position?

Or is it highly unlikely this will happen as there are 11 people before me - 11 positions would hardly be created......? Any thoughts or views are welcome!

Cheers! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 mushrooms8me

Well done on getting on the panel, those interviews are nerve racking! It all depends on the jobs on offer, I imagine if there are temporary positions created, those on the panel who are in permanent employment may not take up the offer. The job is then offered to the next person. A process of elimination combined with a number of posts may result in you getting an offer, even if your 12th on the panel. It all depends on how long the panel is live for too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Which position is the panel for?

The type of job depends on how likely they are to go so far in a panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Depends on the job, the size of Local Authority, number of vacancies. But well done on being successful and placed on a panel. Recruitment and retaining staff in the Local Authority Sector is very challenging at the moment, which, may help your panel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 professorA

Thanks everyone for your replies, its a Technician Grade 1 post.

Has anyone been place 10th or lower on a local authority job panel who eventually got a job offer (Other than a Clerical position)??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭FMG

I've been sitting at No 2 for 12 months now. No 1 got a start on the first day of panel being set up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

professorA wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your replies, its a Technician Grade 1 post.

Technicians in the LA don’t come up very often.
    There’s a current campaign in Dublin City presently and that’s the first time it’s been advertised since 2008.

I would fear that being 12th is very likely not to be offered a position within the lifetime of the panel (12 months). I’m sorry to say that, but I hope I’m wrong for your sake.

What date did you get told you were 12th on the panel?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Technician posts have started to pop up around the country but unfortunately not enough to exhaust a panel or even get halfway through it realistically. Your best bet is the panel gets extended for a further 12 months. Keep trying elsewhere in the meantime.

FMG wrote: »
    I've been sitting at No 2 for 12 months now. No 1 got a start on the first day of panel being set up.

Wow, don't give up! You never know what could happen, especially if the panel is extended!

I got a letter two weeks ago stating I was 12th. Therefore the panel could last 12 or 24 months.....I don't think I could handle another application / interview. This one took a lot out of me!

• Advertisement

I thought when the panel of 25 was set up and the first lad got a start that I was as good as in. I hope its not taken down with 24 lads gone through the application/interview process. With luck I might get a shout soon. Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭parishsavings

I know of a Technician panel where number 10 got a post, several people turned it down.
    One fella turned it down as it would have been a pay cut but its not always about the money for everyone!

Some people go around the country doing interviews and some of these also turned it down i.e. if I know there is a Tech 1 Competition coming up in my county in a few months time, I apply for the same post in a different part of the country for interview practice!

professorA wrote: »
    Wow, don't give up! You never know what could happen, especially if the panel is extended!

It seems the panel is being disbanded and interviews will begin soon for a new panel. I am working away now and happy where I am but it seems such a waste to set up an interview board, bring in lots of tradesmen before shortlisting to 28 only to chuck the list and go through the whole process again.:confused:

Advertisement