Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas boiler blowing fuse

Options
  • 24-07-2018 6:56pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have had new boiler installed about 10 years. A few years ago the PCB in the boiler malfunctioned and had it replace. Otherwise boiler OK.

The other day, no hot water, so checked boiler - no power which tuned out to be isolation fuse. Replaced and blew instantly.

There are four zones each with a Sunvic SZM1801 motorised valve.

What is the likely fault - zone valve or boiler?

I have a spare zone valve which I could replace, but I am not touching the boiler.

Any help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Super hoop

Just contact your local rgii. Fyi....after 10 years, you dont have a new boiler..youve an old boiler

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Super hoop wrote: »
    Just contact your local rgii. Fyi....after 10 years, you dont have a new boiler..youve an old boiler

Thanks. I was wondering if the motorised valve could be the trouble?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Super hoop

Thanks. I was wondering if the motorised valve could be the trouble?

Most likely not...as i said...jist contact your local gas man.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Super hoop wrote: »
    I was thinking the same, my new car is 7 years old

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Could well be a motorised valve, especially if water is weeping via the valve spindle. (if so whole vale, not just the head will need replacing)
    If your boiler has an external circulating pump, could also be the cause.

Anything other than this, you need an RGI to look at the boiler.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Given the current weather, I am not in a panic. It does blow the fuse with a bang, so it must be something like a motor. The main pump is part of the boiler, and could well be the culprit.

I have looked as far as I can without opening the boiler which I am not goig to do.

So RGI plumber it is s.

Thanks for your responses.

Advertisement