Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaking outside tap

Options
  • 24-07-2018 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Outside tap leaking the last week, has gotten progressively worse. Water seems to be coming out at top arrow and then running down and dripping at bottom arrow. I'm clueless, any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

If you look carefully you will see that the water is leaking from where the Red Arrow is pointing at and is running down the pipe.
    Get a spanner to fit and try tighten it up.

456608.png

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭briancarr82

Thanks very much, tightened an still a slight drip. Prob needs some new plumbers tape
    K.Flyer wrote: »
    If you look carefully you will see that the water is leaking from where the Red Arrow is pointing at and is running down the pipe.
    Get a spanner to fit and try tighten it up.

456608.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

Once patch up jobs start they are unreliable and the fitting look very corroded, for peace of mind I would replace the assembly

so do you think i should replace elbow joint and tap as seen in pic?

The fittings look to be only stained.
    Go to your local hardware or plumbing supplier and buy a roll of PTFE tape.
    Turn off the water supply from inside the house, usually the mains, run the tap until water stops, loosen the leaking nut, remove the three screws from the holding plate, lift complete assembly from the top of the pipe, put three - four wraps of PTFE tape on the brass ring on the pipe on the side towards the end of the pipe, put the tap assembly back on pipe and hand tughten the nut back onto the assembly. Put the three screws back in and tighten, use a spanner and tighten the nut, turn on the water supply and check if its ok.

• Advertisement

Sound, I bought the plate but can’t get old nut off over pipe see attached. I’ll leave as is and try with the tap
    K.Flyer wrote: »
    The fittings look to be only stained.
    Go to your local hardware or plumbing supplier and buy a roll of PTFE tape.
    Turn off the water supply from inside the house, usually the mains, run the tap until water stops, loosen the leaking nut, remove the three screws from the holding plate, lift complete assembly from the top of the pipe, put three - four wraps of PTFE tape on the brass ring on the pipe on the side towards the end of the pipe, put the tap assembly back on pipe and hand tughten the nut back onto the assembly. Put the three screws back in and tighten, use a spanner and tighten the nut, turn on the water supply and check if its ok.

would i have to cut this pipe to replace the nut? can't get it off over the washer. Going to try existing nut later as ptfe tape was eroded away

There shouldn't be a need to cut the pipe. In saying that, there should be a little bit more pipe protruding out past the ring.
    Try the ptfe. If it doesn't work you may need a few more extra pieces to put it back together properly.

Taped but still leaking, I have a new plate but how do I get nut off pvc pipe ? Does brass washer pull out?

[taled buquote="K.Flyer;107614290"]There shouldn't be a need to cut the pipe. In saying that, there should be a little bit more pipe protruding out past the ring.
    Try the ptfe. If it doesn't work you may need a few more extra pieces to put it back together properly.[/quote]

Can anyone help?
    Taped but still leaking, I have a new plate but how do I get nut off pvc pipe ? Does brass washer pull out?

[taled buquote="K.Flyer;107614290"]There shouldn't be a need to cut the pipe. In saying that, there should be a little bit more pipe protruding out past the ring.
    Try the ptfe. If it doesn't work you may need a few more extra pieces to put it back together properly.
    [/quote]

• Advertisement

I did warn you about quick fixes

Didn’t do any fix yet trying to remove corroded fitting but can’t get it off the pvc pipe.
    Stanford wrote: »
    I did warn you about quick fixes

This is the time to replace the whole assembly and use pvc fittings to avoid rust in the future

Advertisement