Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I use the no claims discount from my second policy?

Options
  • 24-07-2018 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

Hello knowledgeable ones,

I lost my no claims discount this year after scraping the side of someone's car exiting a parking space (entirely my fault). So now my insurance is up for renewal and its twice the price it would normally be. :(

However, I am also a named driver on my husbands car, and have never had a claim there. Can I get a no-claims confirmation from them and use that against my next insurance?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Hurling Rankings

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

I kind of suspected that. I'm clutching at straws here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Years ago I had a small accident and went through the insurance but then paid the settlement myself to the insurance company to keep my no claims bonus. Don't know if this is an option for you but if the amount paid out is less than the insurance increase it might be worth asking the insurance company if you can do this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Hurling Rankings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Different scenario. You cannot earn the benefit of named driving experience while holding a policy in your own name. If that were possible people would be able to get named on multiple policies and earn multiple NCD's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Different scenario. You cannot earn the benefit of named driving experience while holding a policy in your own name. If that were possible people would be able to get named on multiple policies and earn multiple NCD's.

That would be terrible, wouldn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

CiniO wrote: »
    That would be terrible, wouldn't it?

Yes.

Because like pretty much everything to do with insurance in this country, people would take the piss and completely abuse the facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mrsbeebee

You need to disclose it or else its considered fraud. The claim payment should be stated on your renewal. Is it more or less than the increase in your premium? Ring them up to discuss as you may be able to repay the claim to negate the loss of the bonus.

Yes.

Because like pretty much everything to do with insurance in this country, people would take the piss and completely abuse the facility.

We are all being abused by the insurance system and companies in this county. You should be able to use your no claims on more than one policy this would solve all this messing that goes on like trying to build named driver experience, putting a car in another persons name so you can drive it using your driving other cars even people (which I’ve heard of) chancing just giving their no claims (even though it’s already in use) to a different company to insure a second car etc etc. all this ducking and diving is due to nonsensical Irish insurance rules designed to rob us blind.

Also I’d disagree with your assertion that you can’t build named driver experience while you have a policy in own name. In fact 123 specifically ask you to do this before taking out a second policy in your name.

https://www.123.ie/customer-care/before-you-insure/how-can-i-reduce-my-premium/can-i-use-my-no-claims-bonus-on-more-than-one-policy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

These nonsensical Irish insurance rules are imposed by the same insurers offering reasonable premiums in other jurisdictions. These insurers have adapted their normal underwriting criteria to deal with the unique environment we have in Ireland, namely overly generous pay days for minor knocks and our love of cute-hoorism.

• Advertisement
Advertisement