Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary Teaching job prospects

Options
  • 24-07-2018 7:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I have a place on a Primary PME for the year ahead but I can't help but have doubts as to whether or not I should take it having read articles recently about a forecasted surplus of primary teachers.

A lack of jobs in the sector has lead to me putting off applying for the course in recent years but having talked to teachers, principals and recent graduates over the last while, it seemed the job market was improving.

However, the aforementioned articles make for very concerning reading.

So in a nutshell, will I be letting myself for the dole queue if I go for the course?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,421 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

No one knows the answer to this. All these sound bites you are hearing and reading happen every summer in some form or other because there is no real news so weird stuff gets lobbed out to see what reaction it will get.

Also very much depends on where you actually want to end up working.

I'd say go go for it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

As a primary teacher, my first recommendation is that you try to volunteer in a local school and see the day to day reality of teaching today, if you haven't done so already.

Yes, there are jobs, but mostly in the cities where rent may be crippling.The new pay scales have seen hundreds of new entrants go elsewhere or leave teaching altogether. Permanent jobs, as always are rare as hens' teeth. Could you survive on subbing for a few days here and there?Are you tied to a particular area- if you got a job outside of that area, can you drop everything and go there? The PME is expensive and if you are older starting off, you will pay more into your pension than you will ever get back.

The ever increasing paper load and dreaded Croke Park hours also need to be factored in, as does correcting perhaps 3 sets of 30 copies each evening.

Ok, harsh reality aside, teaching is never the same on any two days, you'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll see the joy in a child's face when they get something. You can make a difference in a child's life in a way no-one ever else will. If really think it's for you, go for it, though I have discouraged family members from doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 LUFC123

Also very much depends on where you actually want to end up working.

I'd say go go for it.

Considering jobs are dependent on demographics/population, are jobs a bit easier to come by in the greater Dublin area?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Not really, as many schools will have people who sub regularly and many NQTS gravitate towards Dublin.

Advertisement