Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to paint an aluminium mobile home??

Options
  • 24-07-2018 1:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi there,

I am just looking for some advice. We have just bought a mobile home and I am wondering can I paint the outside of it as it is a bit worn looking...if I can paint it what sort of paint do I use and do I need to prepare the surface first?! Thanking you for any advice :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It may depend on the finish on the aluminium.

Many mobile homes seem to go for a glossy spray finish, but may actually be polyester powder coating or similar. Replicating / matching that may be difficult, especially on site.

At a minimum, it will need to be washed and then primed with a metal primer. Keeping the gloss finish may be difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 beckspell

Thanks for the advice Victor.
    Yes mine has a glossy finish but I'm not too bothered about replicating that finish...I just want to give it a fresh look ;D .
    You are very kind to take the time to reply, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

May sure your site doesnt have any ridiculous requirement about manufaturer and color some are going that way. They painted one on amazing spaces on channel 4 might be worth checking out that episode to see what if any prep other than cleaning and degreasing went into it. I dont imagine it would be difficult to paint with a weathered surface and oil based paint. If youre concered ask some caravan repair places. You could always start with a small area like a strip at the base of an end panel. With zinsser 123 you can paint almost anything from tiles to pvc to box profile cladding so *if* you had adhesion issues that would probably solve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Gary Owen

Hi , I painted my mobile with rustoleum combi colour paint .
    Turned out grand . Just washed it and gave it a light sanding .
    That was 2 years back and it’s still ok .

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

My brother in law did his t3 vw with combicolor too turned out great.

• Advertisement

Thank you autumnalcore and gary owen for those suggestions. I have looked up amazing spaces and found lots of interior and exterior ideas and I have looked up that rustoleum paint...you have been a great help thank you so much! xxx

Gary Owen wrote: »
    Hi , I painted my mobile with rustoleum combi colour paint .
    Turned out grand . Just washed it and gave it a light sanding .
    That was 2 years back and it’s still ok .

Hi again Gary, a quick question for you...do you remember where you bought your rustoleum combicolor paint? I am finding it hard to source online...and also can you remember how much you needed to paint a whole mobile home? Thanks again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Gary Owen

I bought it in one of those co op shops ,
    don’t think they stock it any more .
    There’s plenty of it on eBay , 32 pounds for 2.5 litre
    Use parcel motel .

Gary Owen wrote: »
    I bought it in one of those co op shops ,
    don’t think they stock it any more .
    There’s plenty of it on eBay , 32 pounds for 2.5 litre
    Use parcel motel .

Thank you!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭Alkers

beckspell wrote:
    Hi again Gary, a quick question for you...do you remember where you bought your rustoleum combicolor paint? I am finding it hard to source online...and also can you remember how much you needed to paint a whole mobile home? Thanks again

Don't know where you based but I got it in stillorgan decor, the coverage is unreal, I've done three coats of my bongo from a single 2.5l tin, thinned about 10% white spirits

• Advertisement
Advertisement