Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First internet connection

Options
  • 23-07-2018 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

I know nothing about getting my first connection to Internet. I have always used others or my phone. I've always used prepay on phone for calls and internet but now wanting an upgrade.

There is a black pipe underground going to the front of my site and the other end is beside the house coming up at the footpath.

I am just a few miles out of town just of the main road into it so I assume, I should be able to get a good speeds.

How do I get connected and who is doing the best deals.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

• Registered Users Posts: 73,430 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you’re any way rural, it would be assumed your internet comes through the phone line. Speeds should be pretty consistent across Eir/Sky/Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,521 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

The Cush wrote: »

Saying VDSL only. What does this mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

kingbhome wrote: »
    Saying VDSL only. What does this mean.

This means Fibre-to-the-Cabinet, which delivers fibre to your nearest cabinet and then usually uses copper cables to bring the connection to your home. Speeds from up to 100Mbps are available through these types of connections from the likes of eir, Sky, Virgin Media and Vodafone. The actual speed you get will depend on your provider and your distance from the cabinet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,430 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Virgin Media don’t use this infrastructure.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Virgin Media don’t use this infrastructure.

'tis true, corrected :o

degsie wrote: »
    This means Fibre-to-the-Cabinet, which delivers fibre to your nearest cabinet and then usually uses copper cables to bring the connection to your home. Speeds from up to 100Mbps are available through these types of connections from the likes of eir, Sky, Virgin Media and Vodafone. The actual speed you get will depend on your provider and your distance from the cabinet.

What would be max distance and how much speed would I get if I was at the Max

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

2km, 7Mb.

ED E wrote: »
    2km, 7Mb.

How can I locate the boxes without having to drive in all directions looking one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

Go to the fibre rollout map listed above and put in your location, you'll see where the cabinets are located.

If you have a neighbours home phone number put it into eir's site and it will tell you what speed you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,521 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

FTTC/VDSL (up to 100 Mbps) speed vs. distance (line length)

untitled2.jpg

How can I locate the boxes without having to drive in all directions looking one.

Finding the cabinet is one thing, figuring out how the cabling is routed to your house is quite another.

Finding the cabinet is one thing, figuring out how the cabling is routed to your house is quite another.

When people say this
    I am just a few miles out of town just of the main road into it so I assume, I should be able to get a good speeds.
    They usually think its two minutes in the car so must be grand not understanding that the range limits at 2 and 4.5km. Is 2.7 miles a few?

Not unlikely the OP is a wait for FTTH/go wireless case.

Check a neighbours number.

When people say this

They usually think its two minutes in the car so must be grand not understanding that the range limits at 2 and 4.5km. Is 2.7 miles a few?

Not unlikely the OP is a wait for FTTH/go wireless case.

Check a neighbours number.

11k from main town and 4k from small town.

Do they do this underground. I'm near sure there's a phone line running down to a cottage 2 acres away from.me.

Who is it I contact now that I know what type I can receive. What's the costs of connection and is there a lengthy wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Who is it I contact now that I know what type I can receive. What's the costs of connection and is there a lengthy wait.

You mentioned site? Is it a new build, or at least without a phone line previously? If you have no phone line installed you'll have to contact Eir to get it installed or just go with a wireless provider. It can cost a few hundred depending on where they have to bring the line from. If it's on the boundary of your property already I think it's €150, if they have to add a new pole it can be €2,000.

GarIT wrote: »
    You mentioned site? Is it a new build, or at least without a phone line previously? If you have no phone line installed you'll have to contact Eir to get it installed or just go with a wireless provider. It can cost a few hundred depending on where they have to bring the line from. If it's on the boundary of your property already I think it's €150, if they have to add a new pole it can be €2,000.

Boom built but never had a connection for telephone. 2k, I think I'll leave it. Can't afford to pay 2k+ for a connection.

Is it possible to install one ourselves for them.

2 Scoops wrote: »
    Go to the fibre rollout map listed above and put in your location, you'll see where the cabinets are located.

If you have a neighbours home phone number put it into eir's site and it will tell you what speed you can get.

Can't find them on that map. Only houses to be connected to fibre

• Advertisement

Go complete your build, get an eircode, THEN ask providers about getting connected.

Boom built but never had a connection for telephone. 2k, I think I'll leave it. Can't afford to pay 2k+ for a connection.

Is it possible to install one ourselves for them.

It probably won't be like that. There was a case on boards where the guy had to pay €4k but they had to run a cable from somewhere between 500m and 1km away. I can't remember exactly but I thought you mentioned something on the edge of your property, it could just be €150 in that case.

Imagine WiMax and Digiweb have wireless offerings that may suit. If you're near south Dublin WebWorld do too.

Go complete your build, get an eircode, THEN ask providers about getting connected.

Have an eircode, house was completed just after the boom

What does this site say then?
    https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

GarIT wrote: »
    It probably won't be like that. There was a case on boards where the guy had to pay €4k but they had to run a cable from somewhere between 500m and 1km away. I can't remember exactly but I thought you mentioned something on the edge of your property, it could just be €150 in that case.

Imagine WiMax and Digiweb have wireless offerings that may suit. If you're near south Dublin WebWorld do too.

Im near sure there is a pole near by alougth it aint on my site/land. There are other houses close by and only few hundreed meters from the main national road into town

Im near sure there is a pole near by alougth it aint on my site/land. There are other houses close by and only few hundreed meters from the main national road into town

Well contact Eir and see what they come up with.

What does this site say then?
    https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

No fibre connection :(

Advertisement