Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing golf & wearing glasses.

Options
  • 23-07-2018 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, seeking some advice. Currently I wear glasses for reading and also driving and up until a while ago I was quite happy playing golf unaided.

Over the last number of months however I have noticed that when playing golf I am beginning to struggle keeping track of the ball when driving from the tee or using fairway woods or long irons.

My short game from 100-130 yards in and when putting is grand.

I'll be making an appointment for my optician but I'm wondering does wearing glasses have an impact when playing golf and how and what brand of frames and glass are best suited for the golfer.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jamok

Playing with glasses all my life. No noticeable effects in playing other than alignment and putting in particular. One eye is a bit stronger than the other so in my putting routine reading greens I close one side at a time to read,to make sure I have it right and that my eyes aren't playing tricks. Loads of worlds best play with glasses

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Thank you. I suppose it will take a while to get used to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

Pain in the ass playing with glasses when it rains.

Would like to try wearing contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Similar to yourself, I switched a few years ago to wearing while playing. If you getting new frames, make sure you can spot the ball at address without the bottom of frame obstructing your line of sight.

If going to optician, trial lenses. As Macker said, they are great when its raining!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Hi folks, seeking some advice. Currently I wear glasses for reading and also driving and up until a while ago I was quite happy playing golf unaided.

Over the last number of months however I have noticed that when playing golf I am beginning to struggle keeping track of the ball when driving from the tee or using fairway woods or long irons.

My short game from 100-130 yards in and when putting is grand.

I'll be making an appointment for my optician but I'm wondering does wearing glasses have an impact when playing golf and how and what brand of frames and glass are best suited for the golfer.
    Thanks.

You could be me!! Started wearing glasses a few years ago for reading and they eventually morphed into glasses I can wear driving etc. I still find them awkward when moving around outside (depth/ distance perception) so I never wore them playing golf. This year I took the plunge and got fitted for contact lenses: best thing I ever did! They are the business. It took me about a week to get used to putting them in/ taking them out but now it's almost 2nd nature. None of the glasses-related issues such as watery eyes when the wind goes in around frame, no need for wipers when it's raining, nothing in your peripheral vision etc.
    I was a bit apprehensive about the whole contact lens thing before getting fitted but it's the best decision I've made in a a while. I use daily disposables but you can use them more than once if you use any standard contact lens care solution. Each lens works out at about €1 each when not re-used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭Russman

Op, I wore glasses full time for years and had no issues playing golf with them on, apart from in the rain, then they are an absolute pain in the a$$ if its windy.
    I graduated to contact lens for a few years and they were great, but had laser back in 2000 and its been the best thing I ever spent money on, bar nothing.

You'll be fine with glasses, they might take a bit of getting used to but after a few rounds you'll wonder how you managed without them. My father has recently swallowed his pride and admitted he sees better when he actually wears his glasses on the course, I think his exact words were "you can see all the bumps and slopes on the greens" !! He's even wearing his prescription sunglasses on the course now !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Russman wrote: »
    ....had laser back in 2000 and its been the best thing I ever spent money on, bar nothing.

Same here, got it done in 2006. Best decision i ever made.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

charlieIRL wrote: »

snap

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭Glebee

Ive no real issues with wearing the glasses while golfing except when its raining its a nightmare. Wear contacts as well if im in the humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Would it be worth getting a pair with reaction lens so in sunny conditions they will tint automatically into sunglasses?
    https://www.specsavers.ie/offers/free-reactions

Also, usually glasses are optimised for reading to they are meant to focus at the length you would hold a book when reading.
    It could be worth having a pair optimised for long distance for sports.

And finally, would a baseball cap or a cap with a long peak help to keep the rain off the glasses?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭Glebee

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Would it be worth getting a pair with reaction lens so in sunny conditions they will tint automatically into sunglasses?
    https://www.specsavers.ie/offers/free-reactions

Also, usually glasses are optimised for reading to they are meant to focus at the length you would hold a book when reading.
    It could be worth having a pair optimised for long distance for sports.

And finally, would a baseball cap or a cap with a long peak help to keep the rain off the glasses?

Was never really gone on those reaction lenses. If you wear them in winter and sun comes out it looks like your wearing sun glasses... Thats my reason for hot liking them anyway.

Rain is just a nightmare with glasses, no matter what sorts of sort of cap you wear.

Varifocle glasses will help as different parts of the lens are set for close, middle and far distance depending where you look through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭benny79

charlieIRL wrote: »

Me too :D cost €3000 and got a €1000 back in tax no brainer really.. Even dumped the misses after :D (joke)

Advertisement