Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTTH termination for new install

Options
  • 23-07-2018 9:08pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My son is expecting FTTH to be installed in the next few weeks, (back end of Co Clare) and wondering what sort of box is used for the termination of the fibre, will it replace the existing copper termination, and go in the same single socket size recessed box on the wall?

Are they willing to put the fibre into a "suitable" location. I'm presuming that the fibre has to terminate at the modem/router, if it doesn't, what cable form comes out of the line termination unit, and how far can the router be from the termination box.

I'm presuming that it needs a power outlet close to provide power to the relevant modem/router device, and is any other power needed at that location?

Next question is what then comes out of the modem/router. Is it a single RJ45 outlet, or multiple RJ45's, and is there a wireless option on the device, and is that wireless option, 2.4 or 5ghz or both?

The original copper termination point is not ideally placed if that's where the router is going to be located, so he's trying to find out ahead of time what his options are for the placement of the device.

Can someone point me in the direction of some useful information please.

Thanks

Steve

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Which ISP? SIRO and OpenEir are slightly different and the 2nd device is determined by the retail ISP.

You basically get this:
    n2yixd.jpg

See the FTTH threads for discussion about what installers will and won't do. If the existing copper is underground they'll try that, if not it may end up going aerial.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Thanks for that, provider will be OpenEir, and I will have a look at the threads.

There's an internal duct from the existing old eircom copper terminator box to the upstairs area where the rest of the Ethernet Network cables fan out, there's an existing Imagine wireless modem and separate router, power etc in the roof void directly above the access hatch, so I reckon his best bet will be to put a fish wire in the internal duct so they can pull right through, the existing recessed box is very much not a good place to have to put the ODP and ONT, for a number of reasons. The existing copper comes in underground, and due to the location, it won't be easy to go aerial, so I suspect they'll either use the copper as the fish, or blow fibre through from the pole, which is where the duct ends.

Hopefully, they will be prepared to play ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

so I suspect they'll either use the copper as the fish

Prohibited from doing that, copper must remain in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭plodder

Here's another view of the Openeir setup. The external fibre cable terminates in the box on the right, and the short looped cable is also fibre and connects the termination box to the fibre modem (second from right). Then you have a regular RJ45 ethernet patch cable connecting that box to the router (out of the picture). This setup has another patch cable coming from the router to the powerline link on the left. So, there's quite a bit of kit. The router box has wifi and a number of RJ45 connections typically.

They should be flexible on where the cable enters the house. It doesn't have to bear any relationship to where the existing copper cable comes in. They don't have to reuse any of the existing infrastructure. Bear in mind that you need space for all the above though, and you don't want the fibre cable in particular to be disturbed really. <edit> The socket on the far left is an old phone socket, which is redundant now.

456530.jpg

ED E wrote: »
    Prohibited from doing that, copper must remain in place.

Duct should be more than large enough for a fibre to come in as well, though I don't think the copper is live any more, if that makes any difference.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Yup, looking at that, it will be better to sort out a fish to the roof space and have all the new gear up there, replacing the Imagine kit, as that will also help with the WiFi coverage, it will be dire if it's on the ground floor due to the proximity of some substantial block walls that are a known block to WiFi.

I doubt they will want to come in aerial, as the house is on the top of a hill, with not much between the house and Newfoundland, the wind strength in the winter can be damaging, so I suspect they will prefer to try and use the conduit that went in for the copper originally. It's relatively modern, so the duct should be clear, and have more than enough space for one fibre to come in alongside the copper.

Might have to pull out an unused Cat5 that goes from the copper terminator box up to the roof, but there should be enough space in that conduit as well, which will make like a lot easier.

Thanks for the info, it's about what I was expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

If the nearest pole is less than 50m from your house, you can opt for an overhead install. It's your choice, not theirs.

Having said that, underground should always be preferred. The overhead cabling they use is pretty flimsy.

And they won't install it on your loft space, if it's the attic that you are referring to. This is for health and safety reasons. If it's a fully fitted loft, then that may be different.

/M

Loft install would be on the basis of from step ladder at the access hatch, installer would not have to go in to the loft area, which apparently is usually not an issue, present supplier (Imagine wireless) put their system in on that basis.

Pole I suspect is more than 50 M, will get my son to check, duct would be preferred, and may be only option as poles are not that high, so sag on cable over the road may be an issue for clearance over things like farmers bale trailers.

Advertisement