Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accident with uninsured driver

Options
  • 23-07-2018 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

I was recently hit buy a motorist who it has since turned out was not insured. There is not a lot of damage done to my car and I'd guess the repairs would cost a few hundred euro. Am I right in thinking that if I claimed through MIBI that my own insurance would go up as I would have made a claim?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I dont know. But I had similar a few years back and claimed from my own insurance thinking I have maximun no claims and no claims protection for 2 claims and that I was safe - no. Turns out yhey protected my no claims discount but still weighed my policy for the amount he had done ( several thousand to fix) and I was hit with a big increase in my policy the following year. Should have driven after the ****er and beaten it out of him with his own broken leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

As I understand it you must claim from your own Insurer first who will seek re-imbursement from MIBI

https://www.mibi.ie/making-a-claim/uninsured-unidentified-vehicles.421.html

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Your insurer will revert your policy to normal after recovery from MIBI.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,320 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Good luck with that... If you have to claim involving your own insurance company it will cost you... They already get you if they have to do any work on your behalf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Stanford wrote: »
    As I understand it you must claim from your own Insurer first who will seek re-imbursement from MIBI

https://www.mibi.ie/making-a-claim/uninsured-unidentified-vehicles.421.html

If the other party gas been identified and the damage is a few hundred euro it might be worth trying to get the driver of the other vehicle to pay.

Are the gardaí involved in their driving without insurance? If they had paid compensation to the victim when it came to their court case being heard it would help them somewhat. I wouldn't like to be in their shoes facing a judge for driving without insurance, crashing and leaving their victim out of pocket.

• Advertisement

Good luck with that... If you have to claim involving your own insurance company it will cost you... They already get you if they have to do any work on your behalf

Either way your are obliged to inform your Insurer as you cannot claim directly to MIBI and bypass them

If the other party gas been identified and the damage is a few hundred euro it might be worth trying to get the driver of the other vehicle to pay.

Are the gardaí involved in their driving without insurance? If they had paid compensation to the victim when it came to their court case being heard it would help them somewhat. I wouldn't like to be in their shoes facing a judge for driving without insurance, crashing and leaving their victim out of pocket.

Good luck with a Judge in this case, fine and suspended sentence at most, cheaper than re-imbursing OP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

This is the way it works.

If the other driver has been identified as being uninsured and is liable for the damage (being uninsured is never the cause of an accident), then your insurer deals with the claim as if it is an own damage

MIBI protocols mean that your NCB will not be affected and no increase in premium is allowable on account of the claim. It's a simple process and extremely beneficial for the aggrieved motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

Thanks for the replies. I also should have mentioned that my insurance is due for renewal in 7 or 8 weeks so would I have an open claim at the time of renewing and would this increase my insurance.

The other driver is known as they were injured and guards were on the seen.

hogandrew wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I also should have mentioned that my insurance is due for renewal in 7 or 8 weeks so would I have an open claim at the time of renewing and would this increase my insurance.

The other driver is known as they were injured and guards were on the seen.

As long as it is agreed that the other driver was liable, your renewal will be unaffected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

As long as it is agreed that the other driver was liable, your renewal will be unaffected.

Not true. An unresolved or open claim can drag on months after your policy has expired and leave your company "unable" to qoute and not able to sign off on yiu as a customer -and nobody else will touch you or quote for you while the claim is open. This can go on for months. I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Not true. An unresolved or open claim can drag on months after your policy has expired and leave your company "unable" to qoute and not able to sign off on yiu as a customer -and nobody else will touch you or quote for you while the claim is open. This can go on for months. I know.

If personal injuries arise it can be years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭9935452

A friend had a case drag on for over 3 years.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

9935452 wrote:
    A friend had a case drag on for over 3 years.

I had one fully resolved in 3 months. No personal injuries.

You're talking about a different scenario above altogether. When it is confirmed that an uninsured driver has caused you damage, the MIBI protocol kicks in and insurers are not permitted to apply loadings or reduce NCB

If there are injuries, the action is direct with the MIBI, so there is no "open" claim under your own policy. Your own insurers do not pay you for your injuries in this instance

Normal open claims do affect your premium and your ability to obtain alternative quotations, but you're comparing apples and oranges. There are only 2 possible reasons for a claim remaining open on your policy. One is if you don't accept the offer from your insurers to settle your own damage and the other is if a 3rd party has lodged (or is expected to lodge) a claim against you, holding you liable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Whats the excess on your policy? If the cost of repair is only a few hundred, your excess will reduce what youll get from the Insurance company anyway so it may not be worth the hassle.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Stanford wrote: »
    Good luck with a Judge in this case, fine and suspended sentence at most, cheaper than re-imbursing OP

For a first offence they won't get any kind of sentence. A fine and possibly a ban. For a second offence they will get a fine and definitely a ban. For a third offence they are certainly nearing a sentence but still unlikely. Beyond that probably a suspended sentence up to around 5 or 6 convictions.

I've heard of 99 euro fines with no ban for driving without insurance.

Advertisement