Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Statistics on early retirement, length of service etc for teachers?

Options
  • 23-07-2018 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

A post in another thread about teachers leaving the profession early, reminded me that I really would love to see research on the entire profession of Irish secondary school teachers. Do we have any statistics such as:

1. What is the average age of retirement of an Irish secondary school teacher?

2. What is the average length of service of an Irish secondary school teacher?

3. What percentage of Irish teachers left teaching early, and what were their reasons for doing so?

4.What job areas do people who left teaching early enter?

5.What percentage of teachers have a CID?
    [
    6. What percentage have been teaching for 3/4/5/10 years and still have no CID?

7. How do all these statistics compare with the situation 10, 20, 30 years ago?

I'm sure there are many more good questions whose answers would throw a huge light on our profession. As far as I'm aware - I'd be glad to be corrected on this - there is no published research concerning these questions on secondary school teaching in Ireland. In contrast, I can tell you that 1 in 3 of all new teachers in England quit within 5 years (Source). That says a lot about what's going wrong there. But where are our statistics?

Knowledge is power, and if the teachers' unions had the research to understand what's happening with Irish teachers and what problems are defining careers, that we would all benefit. The unions need to initiate this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭ethical

Teachers Unions do not really cater for their members these days.Is there not in fighting in at least one of the bigger unions where some staff members in the front line are not getting fair treatment (and yet these same staff have to put on a brave face and try and deal with yours and my problems!) If some one is not happy in their work how can they perform at their optimum?
    The Dept. are happy enough with different parties fighting within their organisations,be they union staff or teachers as it takes the heat off Richard and his staff!
    I would love to find out also how many years service do teachers that leave the profession have. I would imagine that there are very few teachers reaching the 35 years service (which is I think considered full pensionable service or was before Paschal started interfeering).
    Around 10 years ago there were a high number of teachers running for the door as they had their pensions enhanced by 7 years,some of them then started on the "after dinner circuit" giving Croke Parke hours courses!, some even became politicians,I know one,what a waste of a pension! Now he has at least 2 pensions and did damn all work for either of them.
    There is a lost generation of teachers,many opted out,others headed for the sun of the Far and Middle East and have build up a fine life for their families and futuresr being brave.
    Unfortunately we are now in an era where King Leo has Micháel having no option but to adhere to his "Confidence and Supply" carry on in continuing with the Government in its present form until 2020.Michael is only pro longing the inevitable(his demotion and retirement as FF leader) while Leo,Paschal and Murph are laughing all the way to the bank and would consider themselves shoe ins in the next election.Leo is all soundbite (some times he reminds me of Dan "Tweet" of the Green Party of old,where is he now?),Paschal is annoying and has done nothing other than lengthen the work term of the teacher in order to get a pension,get a permanent job at age 40 and then do 40 yrs service and retire at 80 or whatever! Murph,talks for ever ,says nothing,does even less! More homeless now than ever yet we can get those wonderful charities that go to foreign fields and provide housing for families within a week.
    The brown envelope has destroyed this country and more people are aware of it now than ever before.People are also too tired to do anything about it,those that are not have left to try and make a life for themselves elsewhere.
    I know I have ranted on and on but the problems of teaching are embedded in many areas of Ireland and there is damn all will to do anything about it!

Advertisement