Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Total lunar eclipse, July 27th 2018

Options
  • 23-07-2018 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭

Next Friday, July 27th, we get a total lunar eclipse visible from Ireland. The maximum eclipse depth is reached just before moonrise on the east coast. (Moonrise is about 10 to 15 minutes later on the west coast). Loads more info about timings etc. here -- for information specific to your location click the link near the top of the page that says "Is this Total Lunar Eclipse visible in <your-location>?".

Just bear in mind that you want to be somewhere with a view down to the south eastern horizon, as the eclipse is total as the moon rises. In Dublin, that's at 9.22pm, with the total eclipse continuing for another 50 minutes before the earth's shadow starts to move off. Because it's low to the horizon, you'll also get the moon illusion, which makes the moon look weirdly huge. To see the horizon you either want to be on an elevation (which doesn't have to be very high up as long as the view is unobstructed) or be on the south or east coast.

In south Dublin, one of my favourite spots for watching moon rises is Dun Laoghaire pier. You don't have to walk very far, and you can do it with a Teddy's ice-cream in your paw. For this particular moonrise, the direction is 123 degrees, measured clockwise from north. Standing at the bandstand on the east pier gives you an unobstructed view of the moon rising out of the sea just beyond the 40-foot in Dalkey. And as a bonus from this location you will also be able to see the pretty sunset in the northwest, five minutes after moonrise. Here's hoping for clear skies!

StzM66r.png

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

What a beauty...4 major stellar objects in same field of view,one week of spinning around covered in few seconds! But,what is time !??
    As well,hope the weather,the sky and the clouds are with us...

is a gif,so please wait for the Moon to impress you...

Jupiter-Saturn-Mars-Moon_21-28Jul2018_12am_BST_940x705.gif

@ HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭murphyme2010

If you want to see where to observe the eclipse this site will give you the angle of Moon rise over a google map.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ps200306

rolion wrote: »
    What a beauty...4 major stellar objects in same field of view
    Yeah, I watched the moon doing its tour of the planets last month ... different spectacle every couple of days. And Mars near opposition is like a big orange streetlight in the sky, amazingly bright.

This eclipse just looks better and better ... it is the longest lunar eclipse of the 21st century! Mars rises at almost exactly the same time as the total eclipse ends , around 22:10, though I guess the sky will still be too bright to see it at that stage. But it should make a pretty sight appearing under the Moon a little later. Then, just before the end of the partial eclipse at 23:04 there is a totally gratuitous bonus -- a really high and bright (mag -4) flyover of the space station which lasts a full seven minutes. Plus it passes within a quarter of a degree of Arcturus when viewed from Dublin so you get to compare the ISS to the brightest star in the northern hemisphere... the ISS will be 40 times brighter!

(Speaking of which, I saw an ISS flyover at 2.30am the night of last Thursday week, and it happened to enter sunlight and popped into view right beside Mars, which was really spectacular).

Right, gotta stop talking about this or it's bound to be cloudy. :pac:
    (Though actually the weather prospects are looking quite good right at the mo, fingers crossed).

Darn this country! There is skanky weather due on Friday, with just a hint of a possibility that eclipse time on the east coast might fall in a clearance between two bands of rain. Still keeping my hopes up. I did a reccy down Dun Laoghaire pier tonight just about Mars rise time, and the viewing was awesome. (P.S. The bandstand is fenced off for renovations).

TLtc2BG.png?1

Ok, my vintage iPhone is somewhat less than awesome, so here's what I could actually see:

iAfUyyY.png?1

Four out of five of the classical planets all above the horizon simultaneously! It was the first time I got a sense of the ecliptic (the plane of the solar system orbits) as a real line in the sky. On Friday the eclipsed moon will have moved over left to above where Mars is.

If only tonight was Friday! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I live in Bettystown so would it be visible from the beach?

Also, might bring my three young boys down but I’m not sure they would hang around for an hour. What’s the juiciest time to go down and the best bits to see?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Drumpot wrote: »
    I live in Bettystown so would it be visible from the beach?

Also, might bring my three young boys down but I’m not sure they would hang around for an hour. What’s the juiciest time to go down and the best bits to see?
    There is a link for doing all of that in the excellent original post by ps200306. So you now you can work out your very own "juiciest time".
    https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/lunar/2018-july-27

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Not looking good for the East/North/North-west on the HIRLAM (high res model) now that it's come into range, hopefully things will change a bit as cloud is notoriously difficult to track but it's not looking great :(

It's European time so add an hour, I'll update in two runs time (a bit after 5pm)

tempresult_nad8.gif

Drumpot wrote: »
    I live in Bettystown so would it be visible from the beach? ... What’s the juiciest time to go down and the best bits to see?

Bettystown beach is an excellent location for viewing (weather permitting, which it might well not). Just look south along the beach toward Skerries, then cast your eye out to sea a little -- that's where the moon will rise. The juicy times are --

21:22 Moon rises in south east, already totally eclipsed (moon #7 below)
    21:28 Sunset
    22:09 Mars rises right below the moon (not properly visible until maybe half hour later). Other planets as per my pic earlier).
    22:13 Total eclipse ends (moon #8)
    23:05 International Space Station travels across the sky from west to east in six minutes
    23:07 ISS passes within a quarter of a degree of Arcturus, the brightest star in the sky. The ISS is 40 times brighter than the star.
    23:11 ISS disappears in the east.
    23:19 Partial eclipse ends (moon #11)
    00:29 Penumbral eclipse ends (moon #12)

hwCWBG2.png

If you just want the highlights, go out at 10.00 in time to see the end of total eclipse. See Venus, Jupiter and Saturn and see if you can spot Mars rising. And if you last a full hour you'll see a very nice space station flyover.

dacogawa wrote: »
    Not looking good for the East/North/North-west on the HIRLAM (high res model) now that it's come into range, hopefully things will change a bit as cloud is notoriously difficult to track but it's not looking great :(
    Yeah, as I feared the mini-clearance I saw between rain bands on yesterday's forecast is a) smaller and b) moving through more slowly. P.S. don't we subtract an hour to go from CET to IST? Doesn't help the picture though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

ps200306 wrote: »

iAfUyyY.png?1

Four out of five of the classical planets all above the horizon simultaneously! It was the first time I got a sense of the ecliptic (the plane of the solar system orbits) as a real line in the sky.

I saw that too on Monday evening (in SW Kerry) it was stunning - I've been star/planet watching for almost 50 years and can't remember ever having seen such a great display! (I managed to spot Mercury in the evening sky last year - for the first time ever too! Happy days - or nights!)

Hopefully, Friday evening will deliver clear skies down here in the deep SW.

• Advertisement

ps200306 wrote: »
    Yeah, as I feared the mini-clearance I saw between rain bands on yesterday's forecast is a) smaller and b) moving through more slowly. P.S. don't we subtract an hour to go from CET to IST? Doesn't help the picture though :(

Sorry ps200306 I meant add an hour to the time in the upper left corner of the chart gif, as it's from France. Was too early to have my head on right ;)

Well it's not looking good at all with the latest update, seems as if nearly all the country will be under cloud and some rain for the eclipse. Hopefully the charts will change closer to the time and we'll have some breakage but when and where are anyone's guess.

I've copied the link to the HIRLAM below in case anyone wants to check the updates, they usually roll out about 5 hours after the time indicated just below the picture, the colour on the left (beside the hour) will tell you which run it's on.

Best of luck for catching a glimpse...

tempresult_ulh1.gif

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/hirlam.php?ech=1&mode=24&map=430

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Well I got the full 3 hours of the last eclipse in 2015 so can't really complain if this one goes belly-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Think I'm probably not bothered to go out to DL or up into the Dublin mountains considering the almost certain cloud, but a small "lump" in firhouse is a lot quicker but the map doesn't have any altitude data... probably not worth bothering.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭murphyme2010

If you are desperate, Fraser Cain is live streaming eclipse here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Patches of blue sky appearing in mid-Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Total cloud eclipse here in West Offaly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,840 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Total cloud eclipse here in West Offaly :)

Same here in Laois.

Anyone that gets to see it , enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Same here in Laois.

Anyone that gets to see it , enjoy :)

Happy farmers around here spreading slurry.Grass growth much more important to them than the Lunar eclipse :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

As Hindu temples closed earlier today (to prevent any negative energy) ascending from this blood moon, wondering should I close over the attic window?

In the (King James) version of the Bible, the Moon turning into blood is mention in the Book of Acts 2:20. The passage reads:
    “And I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the Earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke:
    “The Sun shall be turned into darkness, and the Moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come:

Also (Book of Revelations, NT) reads:
    “And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;

Either way might close it, in case of pending armageddon, and also the fact that the sky may well open with wet stuff from 21:30.

BPDf8Ni.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Probably the cloudiest evening in Dublin since about May. Total buzz kill :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Heavy cloud cover in bray and now pouring rain. Typical!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,320 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

If you're in Dublin. Forget it. Too much cloud to try and see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Looks bloody impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭trixiebust

The tiniest hint of a red sky in the distance, here in South Tipp. Go out 2mins later to have y look, & it's all clouded over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Eclipse just ending with the faintest yellow glow appearing, wow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Can't see anything in west Wicklow. Did anywhere in Ireland get a clear spell for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Cloudy here and raining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

This is like the partial solar eclipse where it was foggy

• Advertisement

Complete washout in DL. Hint of orange-grey at sunset, followed by a downpour.

Advertisement