Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding boyfriend onto car insurance

Options
  • 23-07-2018 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

My boyfriend and I have been together for 11 years but live apart- he comes to stay every weekend. It works for us as we both like our space.I want to add him to my car insurance( he has commercial insurance himself). They say, for a partner it's a reduction of €80 but otherwise it's an extra €120 . Can I claim he's my partner? To all intents and purposes he is . The insurance guy in call centre didn't know

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

seefin wrote: »
    My boyfriend and I have been together for 11 years but live apart- he comes to stay every weekend. It works for us as we both like our space.I want to add him to my car insurance( he has commercial insurance himself). They say, for a partner it's a reduction of €80 but otherwise it's an extra €120 . Can I claim he's my partner? To all intents and purposes he is . The insurance guy in call centre didn't know

I would imagine so
    11 years to me is more partner than boyfriend?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭jellybear

I could be wrong, but I would think they could mean 'domestic partner' which would mean he has to live with you. I would double check that with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The term partner would normally mean you are cohabiting i.e. living together. I'd doubt staying at the weekend would fall under that definition irrespective of how long you have been doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭endacl

40 quid in the difference. Ask the insurance company for clarity. If you can’t get a straight answer, would you really risk it for €40?

Just for emphasis. €40. That’s all you would be saving yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

endacl wrote: »
    40 quid in the difference. Ask the insurance company for clarity. If you can’t get a straight answer, would you really risk it for €40?

Reduction of 80 vs gain of 120. Difference of 200 there spud. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭deletthis

I read that as an €80 saving or a cost of €120, unless I'm wrong. Which would be a cost difference of €200.

Reduction of 80 vs gain of 120. Difference of 200 there spud. :pac:
    Damn you and your careful reading of the opening post.
    Damn me and my cursory glance.

Also. Kudos to your arithmetical skills.

:o

deletthis wrote: »
    I read that as an €80 saving or a cost of €120, unless I'm wrong. Which would be a cost difference of €200.

See post above.

*leaves thread with head low and tail between legs*

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

See post above.

*leaves thread with head low and tail between legs*

In fairness, advice is still valid... just fuppin' ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

My neighbour's husband works away during the week and comes home at weekends. She added him to her insurance. I know they are married but the insurance doesnt specify marriage, just partner. Op says her partner stays every weekend so I would see that as the same thing.

• Advertisement

Damn you and your careful reading of the opening post.
    Damn me and my cursory glance.

Also. Kudos to your arithmetical skills.

:o

First time I've had to use maths since I left school in 2006 - 13 years ago ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

fineso.mom wrote: »
    My neighbour's husband works away during the week and comes home at weekends. She added him to her insurance. I know they are married but the insurance doesnt specify marriage, just partner. Op says her partner stays every weekend so I would see that as the same thing.

In legal terms it's not the same and your friend could be incorrectly insured, every insurance company in this country has spouse as an option for named drivers and use any mistake to avoid paying out. Partner would be co habiting and a weekend is not co habiting, marriage has a different status.

Del2005 wrote: »
    In legal terms it's not the same and your friend could be incorrectly insured, every insurance company in this country has spouse as an option for named drivers and use any mistake to avoid paying out. Partner would be co habiting and a weekend is not co habiting, marriage has a different status.

+1.

Definitions should be in the T&C's of the policy. Worth 5 mins to read through and see which fits you best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭Paudee

I’m pretty sure my insurance company had an option for partner and for common law spouse. I don’t think either has any real legal standing. FWIW my eh, cohabiting partner had me on her insurance when we were not living together and it reduced her insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Iwouldinmesack

First time I've had to use maths since I left school in 2006 - 13 years ago ;)

I highly doubt that. You use maths everyday in some form or another. Paying for shopping?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Read the definitions and add or otherwise in accordance with them. Being economical with the truth isn't a great idea in the circumstances.

I highly doubt that. You use maths everyday in some form or another. Paying for shopping?

Nope. I just give money until the cashier tells me that's enough. :cool:

Nope. I just give money until the cashier tells me that's enough. :cool:

Wanna buy a thing?!?

Advertisement