Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car hire excess advice?

Options
  • 23-07-2018 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭

Will be renting a car abroad soon and want to avoid the car hire companies extortionate Excess cover.

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations with regard to the various online Excess companies?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭k123456

there is info on the travel forum on this , but

try carhireexcess.com
    or MSE
    section 5
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-car-hire/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Just remember that if you have your own excess insurance some car hire companies will want to block off the excess on your credit card. Depending on the car/company that can be a fairly big chunk.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Insure it for sure. It's cheap and easy. Google "car hire excess" and run a couple of quotes. It'll only take a few minutes.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I went with AIG this year, I found most annual quotes I was getting to be the same at ~60 a year or so.

Be prepared for the hard sell at the rental counter. Had that this year with firefly rentals, they pushed hard and gave all sorts of stories about people not getting money through 3rd party insurers etc. Just ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I went with AIG this year, I found most annual quotes I was getting to be the same at ~60 a year or so.

AIG look good, though I laughed when I saw their €75 excess, now where is the website for Car Hire Excess Protection Protection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

I just had a week over in the UK and used carehireexcess.com. Worked out at €2.99 per day for six days. Very easy to use website and very fast and straightforward process.

I didn't need to claim (fortunately) so I can't vouch for how good they would be in case of a claim, but I have no reason to doubt them.

Went with AIG, €42, thanks for the assist people.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

AIG look good, though I laughed when I saw their €75 excess, now where is the website for Car Hire Excess Protection Protection?

For the low low price of 25 euro Alan's ExcessExcess Insurance will cover your car hire excess excess.

* Policy excess of 60euro applies on claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Craftylee

Yeah defo get your own - but as Alanstrainor said above - once you get to the rental counter they will apply the hard sell in large doses. The usual horror stories and the such. Just remember they're on commission for that stuff and likely have sales targets for it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

Note that Car hire excess is not CDW or TP
    Make 100% sure you have those purchased when buying online otherwise you'll be forced to buy them at extortionate rates once you arrive in the hire company office and then they'll throw the Airport charge on top and your internet intermediary will do nothing to help you.

The way they offer service is often nothing short of sharp practice.

Avoid rentalcars.com as an intermediary as they make everything as obscure as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

rivegauche wrote: »
    Note that Car hire excess is not CDW or TP

What is CDW.? I assume TP means “Third Party”

CDW collision damage waiver
    TP Theft protection.

Avoid rentalcars.com as an intermediary as they make everything as obscure as possible.

I booked with rentalcars.com as I have used them without issue in the past. They include CDW and TP so with the additional excess I should be OK. He says nervously.

Car is with Europcar BTW.

Yes, rentalcars.com and carhire/europcar. Check that it is mentioned as included in the voucher you were mailed especially the area under "obligatory charges". If it is mentione dunder obligatory charges then that means it is yet to be paid and will be charged in the office. If you aren't certain then you should be able to cancel without penalty up to 48 hours in advance (I think) and then rebook elsewhere where you are certain that those charges are covered.

Yes, rentalcars.com and carhire/europcar. Check that it is mentioned as included in the voucher you were mailed especially the area under "obligatory charges". If it is mentione dunder obligatory charges then that means it is yet to be paid and will be charged in the office. If you aren't certain then you should be able to cancel without penalty up to 48 hours in advance (I think) and then rebook elsewhere where you are certain that those charges are covered.

2j0o3vc.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭cgcsb

It's amazing that in Europe, the continent of tight regulations, car hire are allowed extort money out of people at the desk. Is there no pan-European consumer agency preventing this from happening?

2j0o3vc.png

You seem safe. TPL, TP and CDW are mentioned explicitly and the airport surcharge. It is when they don't mentioned them explicitly that you get caught.
    They'll still try their damnedest to sell car hire excess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

cgcsb wrote: »
    It's amazing that in Europe, the continent of tight regulations, car hire are allowed extort money out of people at the desk. Is there no pan-European consumer agency preventing this from happening?

It has also be known that people who didn't purchase all these "optional" extra insurances returned their car late at night, dropped the key in the letter box because there was no staff present at that hour and recieved a bill for damage "found" on the car that very neatly matched their excess.
    I take a heap of pictures from every possible angle when I rent a car, on pickup and return.
    When not purchasing extra insurance, I can only recommend that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭loki7777

I'm looking to rent a car at Bologna - from 6.9 till 14.9 - going through holidaycars.com and i see nice small cars for €150 - it shows insurance included:CDC,TP,TPL and when i click next i can see that i have to pay extra €5-10/a day to have that included or go uncovered. Can anyone help me a bit with that. And do I always need credit card or can i use Visa debit to hire a car?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Insure the excess yourself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement