Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal movie downloads.

Options
  • 22-07-2018 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hey Boarders,

I've reluctantly come to the conclusion that my dvd collection is starting to take up too much room that could probably be used for better purposes.

What I want to do, and seems bizarrely complicated/impossible, is to find a genuine site where I can buy legal downloads of movies and TV shows and store them on a hard drive for offline use at home only.

I'm aware of services like Ultraviolet and Movies Anywhere etc, but they seem to be streaming only options, and appear to use a variety of different apps/sites to watch them.

Does anyone know of any such suitable site/service?

TIA,
    KRN.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I would be surprised if this existed. I would imagine most things would have to be kept within the software. Like with the netflix app you can now download whatever you want but you can't access them other than via the netflix app and you couldn't store them on an external hard drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I personally wouldn't have any pangs of guilt downloading stuff I already own tbh...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment
    I personally wouldn't have any pangs of guilt downloading stuff I already own tbh...

The legality of owning a digital copy of a disc you already own usually arises from making a digital copy of the disc yourself - downloading movies from sources which do not have the copyright owner's permission to share, involves you in the general illegality of file sharing, hence the warning at the top of the forum about obtaining media without the rights holder's permission.

Happy to leave this thread open, but bear in mind the forum rules.

Mod Hat Off

OP,

I'm not aware of any legal/subscription service to provide you with digital copies of movies you already own. I have a pretty large disc collection and I ripped them to storage over a series of weekends - its less onerous than you would think. There are lots of tutorials on this around the web, this forum is not the place for setting out the details. Once the backlog is done its fairly easy to keep up to date.

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Knightridernut

The Ritz wrote: »
    Mod Comment

The legality of owning a digital copy of a disc you already own usually arises from making a digital copy of the disc yourself - downloading movies from sources which do not have the copyright owner's permission to share, involves you in the general illegality of file sharing, hence the warning at the top of the forum about obtaining media without the rights holder's permission.

Happy to leave this thread open, but bear in mind the forum rules.

Mod Hat Off

OP,

I'm not aware of any legal/subscription service to provide you with digital copies of movies you already own. I have a pretty large disc collection and I ripped them to storage over a series of weekends - its less onerous than you would think. There are lots of tutorials on this around the web, this forum is not the place for setting out the details. Once the backlog is done its fairly easy to keep up to date.

Ritz.

Thanks for that Ritz.

I know where you're coming from - however, I'm thinking more along the lines of when adding new titles to my catalogue to just do it digitally and legally. (My current dvds are OK on the shelf for the time being, I'm not too worried about digitising them at the moment, if at all.)

But it's ridiculous how difficult it is to do this right, as opposed to the ease and simplicity of a dodgy torrent site. How simple it would be (in my head, at least) to go to a single website - Hell, even an individual movie studios site - and buy a genuine download code for the particular movie or TV show you wanted.

IS IT TOO MUCH TO ASK, MR. INTERNET, IS IT??! :'(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Thanks for that Ritz.

I know where you're coming from - however, I'm thinking more along the lines of when adding new titles to my catalogue to just do it digitally and legally. (My current dvds are OK on the shelf for the time being, I'm not too worried about digitising them at the moment, if at all.)

But it's ridiculous how difficult it is to do this right, as opposed to the ease and simplicity of a dodgy torrent site. How simple it would be (in my head, at least) to go to a single website - Hell, even an individual movie studios site - and buy a genuine download code for the particular movie or TV show you wanted.

(

I agree, that would be ideal but the studios are clearly not interested in this -
    they are dealing with the likes of Netflix, iTunes, Amazon etc and obliging them to deal with the protection issues. I would happily be a customer of a legal full quality movie download service.

I know that Kaleidescape (https://www.kaleidescape.com/store/) the top of the market movie server system, had initial difficulties getting licence agreements with the movie studios for distributing digital copies of movies, but seem to have concluded agreemants and survive well in the high-end market. Their equipment and interface are proprietory and only for those with very deep pockets. I keep doing the lotto....... :-)

Ritz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

sugarman wrote: »
    Agreed.

There should really be something like a steam library for digital media, where you can buy through the official store or else register your physical media with a unique code the same way you buy a physical PC game.

There are several but none where you can store the movies. iTunes lets you purchase movies and you can own them forever, they will always been in your iTunes account as long as apple exists.

The same goes for Microsoft's movie store, you can buy movies to own permanently but you have to have an internet connection to watch them.

Advertisement