Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mk1 Focus - two questions

Options
  • 22-07-2018 1:35pm
    Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭

Bog standard, dull as dishwater 1.4 petrol hatchback focus, mk1

First is an easier one. I'm losing power steering fluid. The original pump died a couple of years ago and I had to get a new one fitted, but I've noticed a leak recently. I'm almost certain it's from the thick hose from the fluid reservoir to the pump but believe it or not, I'm struggling to find a replacement hose online. Will ask my local ford garage as well, anyone come across this before?

The leak doesn't appear to be coming from either the high pressure hose or the pressure switch (which is where the leak came from when the pump died last time).

Second: someone is going to look at this with me over the next few days as well as I haven't really done anything on suspension parts before. There's a very low level rattle/vibration coming from front right when at low speeds, no obvious sounds at high speed. Drop links?

I should point out I paid a garage to service the car recently as I wanted them to check out the rattle/vibration, but they couldn't find anything wrong, ironically the bottom of the car is much oilier than previously, I'm surprised this didn't raise a flag :( . I would normally do the basic service stuff myself.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

How is the steering rack or HPH at that end? worth check if you haven't. The rattle could be the heat shield vibrating off the exhaust when up to temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 quinla

Probably the pipe from the pump to the rack which runs along the subframe. Clean the old oil and fill nd lock the lock the steering left and right leave flat cardboard under the car to pin point the leak but its normally that pipe. Use the right oil when filling to or you'll damage the pump. Good luck

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Tks, didn't get back to it yet today, will have a look at those suggestions later in the week :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Don't worry about the slight rattle. May be a suspension part or exhaust but either way it's harmless. It might even pass the NCT no problem if whatever part is not too worn.

I still haven't had a chance to go back to this :(
    The rattle is more annoying than anything else, I thought it could be the heat shield as well but I can't see it loose anywhere, it's only at low speeds on bumpy roads that I get the rattle so i do reckon it could be suspension.

Haven't got to to check the power steering leak either, the thick hose is €45 from Ford, but it could just as easily be the pipe from the pump to the rack :(
    I'll update as soon as I have an actual solution whenever that might be!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

quinla wrote: »
    Probably the pipe from the pump to the rack which runs along the subframe. Clean the old oil and fill nd lock the lock the steering left and right leave flat cardboard under the car to pin point the leak but its normally that pipe. Use the right oil when filling to or you'll damage the pump. Good luck

I've had to replace that pipe, iirc it started off with a small leak and then the pipe sheared off. Wife drove it home a few miles with no oil in it at all (all my fault of course) but a new pipe and an oil top up and its still going 4 years or so later.

The latest on this, went for a spin with a former mechanic neighbour, nothing loose on the suspension, drop links are fine. He reckons it's the shock, I won't do that myself anyway.

On the fluid leak, I cleaned up around the leak and there's still a very small leak, more fluid has appeared (not much), but it's definitely around the top, where the hose from the reservoir goes to the pump. Thing I didn't spot is there's a screw in "junction" to the pump there, we reckon it's a missing washer or something. Had the pump replaced a good while ago when it sh1t itself and I reckon they never put this back on properly.

Advertisement