Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deauville 700

Options
  • 22-07-2018 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

I have a Deauville 700 in perfect nick but its lain un-driven in my garage for about 4 years, I plan to get it serviced and back on the road again. It has petrol in the tank and starts every time, Is it risky for me to ride it to the nearest garage and fill it up with fresh gas or should I draining the existing gas which is a pain to do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Stanford wrote: »
    I have a Deauville 700 in perfect nick but its lain un-driven in my garage for about 4 years, I plan to get it serviced and back on the road again. It has petrol in the tank and starts every time, Is it risky for me to ride it to the nearest garage and fill it up with fresh gas or should I draining the existing gas which is a pain to do?

Why is draining the tank a pain?.

If its been low on petrol the whole time check for corrosion inside the petrol tank with a lighter torch :D

Tbh I'd take off the tank and flush it, then refill with fresh petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

Its a pain in the sense that the left plastic panel has to come off and that can be fiddly with the possibility of breaking snap on connectors, the panel has to be removed to even locate the fuel tap, I guess I'll have to bite the bullet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Stanford wrote: »
    Its a pain in the sense that the left plastic panel has to come off and that can be fiddly with the possibility of breaking snap on connectors, the panel has to be removed to even locate the fuel tap, I guess I'll have to bite the bullet

I get you now, but those studs are cheap enough to replace.

You could take the chance too, tbh if it was such a pain in the tits I'd probably chance it myself (ie just get a fill up now).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I say ride it and rely on the fuel filter to do its job. If you're concerned about tank corrosion it can wait until you're doing a service.
    I'd change the engine oil and filter and fd oil.
    More importantly pay attention to tyre age and deterioration, glazed pads, old brake fluid .. have I missed anything? Clean the fork stantions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

I say ride it and rely on the fuel filter to do its job. If you're concerned about tank corrosion it can wait until you're doing a service.
    I'd change the engine oil and filter and fd oil.
    More importantly pay attention to tyre age and deterioration, glazed pads, old brake fluid .. have I missed anything? Clean the fork stantions.

Thanks All, I just spoke to my mechanic and he says that if its firing up the fuel is OK, he recommends that I fill the tank to dilute the old fuel and add some Redox and drive it to his workshop where it will get a full service anyway, he is more used to removing panels than I am, Makikomi I will ensure that he checks the items you mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

syphon out the old with a small pipe/tube, as much as you can - then put in new, fresh. no need to remove the tank at all.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement