Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is whole Dublin that dirty?!

Options
  • 21-07-2018 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I moved into Clondalkin 3 weeks ago and I am SHOOK!
    I've visited Dublin before, but always stayed in the centre and I was surprised how clean it seamed! Also, the whole country lacks trash cans, but Dublin isn't the worst... and then I moved to Dublin 22.
    W T H?!?!?! I wanted to see the area, so I got on my bike and cycled to the Liffy Valley and some of the parks in the area, and I am so disgusted! (ALMOST) All of the house estetes and green areas are covered in trash! I keep seeing bon fires of hundreds of cans and all kinds of home waste - and I have never seen that happening in Galway or Roscommon or Athlone.

And before you say "move out" or "door's that way", I'm just asking if this is normal for Dublin? Are people really not paying for waste disposal, and throw **** on the streets? When I lived in Co Roscommon, people where scaring me to keep my receipts of waste disposal, because if I cannot prove that I'm not getting rid of it legally, I will have to pay a fine, so what happened here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Shook? Disgusted ? Jaysus.

Sure isn't it wonderful to be able to sit on a disposed of couch with fag burns in the middle of a field whilst watching the local horses and supping a few Dutch gold.

Did you not do your research before moving there? It's not exactly Foxrock.

FWIW there's some lovely parts of Clondalkin but there are areas where a greater than normal percent of residents don't respect their surroundings or pay for bin tags!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Stepped on faeces in Crumlin the other day.

I noticed that there was a tin foil box, a broken bottle of cheap Brandy and a few discarded cans lying around which may have once of contained cider.

My conclusion was that the faeces was HUMAN.

Needless to say the shoes got a thorough going over with brushes etc that got binned instantly once the cleaning deed was done.

I probably parked in a spot that was once occupied by alcoholic junkies. God knows what else could explain human expulsion of solid wastes in a public street.

"Trash cans"... feck off back to california

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭AfterLife

doolox wrote: »
    Stepped on faeces in Crumlin the other day.

I noticed that there was a tin foil box, a broken bottle of cheap Brandy

****. I thought my nan was still chained to her Bridget's Cross. She's a divil for getting the runs after her bottle of Brandy and tin foil box in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Dublin all over seems rather unkempt and dirty relatively recently. I noticed it myself too around when people started saying it on boards. maybe its something to do with water shortages as it all coincided with the hot weather, I dont know, but I agree a lot of Dublin looks dirty at the mo, not just D22

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

wakka12 wrote: »
    Dublin all over seems rather unkempt and dirty relatively recently. I noticed it myself too around when people started saying it on boards. maybe its something to do with water shortages as it all coincided with the hot weather, I dont know, but I agree a lot of Dublin looks dirty at the mo, not just D22

Dublin city centre is a disgusting dirty mess too

Nobody cares anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Dublin city centre is a disgusting dirty mess too

Nobody cares anymore

I care. I care too much. I despair. I have written numerous emails to the CoCo. No response.

The cleansing department is inept. It is Strangled with industrial relations. Mad thing is they keep hiring the stero typical.

I say pay them all off and privatise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Chinasea wrote: »
    I care. I care too much. I despair. I have written numerous emails to the CoCo. No response.

The cleansing department is inept. It is Strangled with industrial relations. Mad thing is they keep hiring the stero typical.

I say pay them all off and privatise.

Most of the filth is on private property. The streets are kept clean, but then the areas owned by private companies or individuals that often let the whole street down. I would nine times out of ten, the places with rubbish aren't accessible to DCC workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Aoife_H89

To answer your question, no not all parts of Dublin are like this. There is good and bad (sometimes even bad areas within the good, if that makes sense)

Some parts of Dublin are really nice and other parts are like what you described.

Parts of Clondalkin are lovely and other parts aren't, and before anyone gets on their high horses and takes offence, the way previous commenters have in response to the OP. It just pointing out the obvious!

I come from a part of Dublin that has a bad reputation, the part I live in is really nice, clean, friendly, etc. Yet I have family members who live 5 minutes away in the same 'area' that basically live in a Kip! I've lived in these areas all my life and I can still be surprised with the absolute state of the place. Ill never be able to fandom the mentality of burning your household waste in open communal green areas. So I can see how someone who isn't used to that being Shook or disgusted.

Lux23 wrote: »
    Most of the filth is on private property. The streets are kept clean, but then the areas owned by private companies or individuals that often let the whole street down. I would nine times out of ten, the places with rubbish aren't accessible to DCC workers.

Talbot Street especially towards Connolly Station is absolutely mankey daily. It's a disgrace.

Take a look too at the public bins. They have never been cleaned and add to the overall unkempt dirty look of the city. A daily clean with soapy water would solve this. Never done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,492 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The biggest issue at the moment is that a lot of the washing that should be done is usually done by rain. And we've had very, very little of that for prolonged periods of time. However, it would not have been acceptable from an image perspective to have the council using water during a drought either

The City BID should probably be doing more of this sort of work but I believe the graffiti removal service uses a vast amount of the income as it stands.

L1011 wrote: »
    The biggest issue at the moment is that a lot of the washing that should be done is usually done by rain. And we've had very, very little of that for prolonged periods of time. However, it would not have been acceptable from an image perspective to have the council using water during a drought either

The City BID should probably be doing more of this sort of work but I believe the graffiti removal service uses a vast amount of the income as it stands.

Even with rain; it is nowhere near enough. Grafton Street for instance with the expensive new paving never looked that clean, even after the rain. Relying on the rain does not work.

There is no need for drinking water to be used to power hose the place. There are numerous other resources of recycled water that could easily be used.

Advertisement