Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY flue and stove installation

Options
  • 21-07-2018 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

Just bought a house, a very very old house and with everything that needs fixing let's just say we need to DIY as much as we can.

The house if over 100 years old so the chimneys are built for open fires. There were gas fires installed but I've found that the gas line has been cut and tucked into the walls behind plaster board.

We would like to install a stove, I'm well able to do it my question is, am I allowed?

Does anything need to be certified? Does anything need to be installed by someone certified?

In short, what can I can what can't I do myself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Work away

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Its hard to answer your question completely without knowing what quals and abilities/experience you have in the construction and related spaces?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

What Do you plan to do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭dantastic

Well I haven't found "the" stove yet and we are still debating an inset stove or a traditional stove but either way the big hole where there once was a fireplace will have to be tarted up accordingly. Then I will need to drop in a new flue liner. And finally install the stove itself.

None of this particularly difficult but these days you need certificates and memberships in clubs to do anything....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

The first thing to remember is that you are dealing with fire so you don't want to do a job which will result in your house burning down or killing you with carbon monoxide if you are confident you can avoid both start planning.
    Second how much space do you have in the room and do you want the fire to heat room or just look pretty at night. If you are linking it into a heating system you need to design this with a plumber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭dantastic

This is just to look pretty at night really. The room is too small for a "proper" stove with a boiler in the back. Realistically, I'm looking at a wood only stove. Might get a multi fuel but will only be burning wood. So no plumbing to worry about. CO2 is serious business and I appreciate peoples' concerns. The question is, if I'm able, what am I allowed. And I gather that I'm allowed as far as I'm able.

dantastic wrote: »
    This is just to look pretty at night really. The room is too small for a "proper" stove with a boiler in the back. Realistically, I'm looking at a wood only stove. Might get a multi fuel but will only be burning wood. So no plumbing to worry about. CO2 is serious business and I appreciate peoples' concerns. The question is, if I'm able, what am I allowed. And I gather that I'm allowed as far as I'm able.

Trouble is you don’t know what you don’t know and basic mistakes can be made and missed due to lack of experience but on the flip side it could be a perfectly good job better than most pros, thing is how do you prove which one it is.

Advertisement