Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU licence to Irish

Options
  • 21-07-2018 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi!I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience in exchanging an eu driving licence for an Irish one?It says online it can take up to three months but that seems like a riciculous amount of time to be without any licence?My understanding is that you cannot drive during this period?My partner is 25 but it is next to impossible to get a quote for him online with a Dutch licence(first time in his name)..in your experience would this be a reflection of the origin of the licence or his age?Any recommendations?🀕😭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Dee1401

Also, does anyone have any idea of how much of a difference it makes financially?Or is the benefit the fact that it's just easier to get insured?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Dee1401 wrote: »
    Hi!I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience in exchanging an eu driving licence for an Irish one?It says online it can take up to three months but that seems like a riciculous amount of time to be without any licence?My understanding is that you cannot drive during this period?My partner is 25 but it is next to impossible to get a quote for him online with a Dutch licence(first time in his name)..in your experience would this be a reflection of the origin of the licence or his age?Any recommendations?����

My son did this nearly 2 years ago. He had to hand in his Spanish licence, but he got a receipt for it from NDLS. It took about 6 weeks for his new licence to arrive in the post. I believe they have to check the validity with the issuing country. The Spanish would have a very slow and tedious bureaucracy, so it would take a while. Would the Dutch authorities be efficient and fast to respond?

Oh that is such a relief to hear!We have about a 5 week window between applying for it and moving home but didn't think it would be anything as quick as that!I haven't had much dealings with the Dutch authorities so not sure how efficient they are but I would imagine they wouldn't be too slow!Did it make much of a difference towards your sons insurance or was it just a personal preference?Thanks a mill for your response!

Oh that is such a relief to hear!We have about a 5 week window between applying for it and moving home but didn't think it would be anything as quick as that!I haven't had much dealings with the Dutch authorities so not sure how efficient they are but I would imagine they wouldn't be too slow!Did it make much of a difference towards your sons insurance or was it just a personal preference?Thanks a mill for your response!

If memory serves, there was quite a reduction in his insurance after changeover. There shouldn't be, but that's the insurance market we have here. There was a large portion of personal preference also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

It's a while since I did it and I imagine things may have changed, but I also believe that it depends a lot on trust and familiarity. I changed a UK full motorbike and provisional car licence to the same status Irish licence and I did it over the counter, it took all of three minutes. They'd see a lot of UK licences so I'd expect a harder time for less familiar issuing states.

More bizarrely, I had to present an eye test (which I knew about in advance) and my car licence has an endorsement that I have to wear corrective lenses but my bike licence does not because it wasn't on my UK licence.

• Advertisement

Cedrus wrote: »
    It's a while since I did it and I imagine things may have changed, but I also believe that it depends a lot on trust and familiarity. I changed a UK full motorbike and provisional car licence to the same status Irish licence and I did it over the counter, it took all of three minutes. They'd see a lot of UK licences so I'd expect a harder time for less familiar issuing states.

More bizarrely, I had to present an eye test (which I knew about in advance) and my car licence has an endorsement that I have to wear corrective lenses but my bike licence does not because it wasn't on my UK licence.

Was this before the credit card style licence? With the new licences, even a change of address means you're without a physical licence for a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My wife did a walk in appointment on a Saturday. Was seen in less Than an hour.
    Had her Irish licence in less than 2 weeks.
    I've had her on my insurance for a few years and it was definitely cheaper with the Irish licence.
    It does ask where you passed your test though!!

My wife did a walk in appointment on a Saturday. Was seen in less Than an hour.
    Had her Irish licence in less than 2 weeks.
    I've had her on my insurance for a few years and it was definitely cheaper with the Irish licence.
    It does ask where you passed your test though!!
    Wow two weeks is pretty quick!Do you mind me asking where her original license was from?Sounds like it may be the best way to go..Thanks!

Wow two weeks is pretty quick!Do you mind me asking where her original license was from?Sounds like it may be the best way to go..Thanks!

It was Slovak. I think it was 2. Definitely no more than 3.
    I was surprised it was so quick. They said it could take a few months depending on the difficulty of verifying the details.

I was impressed with the Ndls office and how organised they were.
    You just need to make sure everything is correct on the form and not to leave as people check in and then don't bother waiting. It speeds up the process for those who stay :)

That's really helpful thanks a million!!!!:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Was this before the credit card style licence? With the new licences, even a change of address means you're without a physical licence for a few weeks.
    It was long before the credit card style but the conversion should only take as long as the necessary communications, just because you're without a physical licence does not mean that you're not licenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Cedrus wrote: »
    It was long before the credit card style but the conversion should only take as long as the necessary communications, just because you're without a physical licence does not mean that you're not licenced.

True. Fact that you don't have physical document doesn't mean you're not licenced.
    But it does mean you can't legally drive a vehicle. You can only drive if you hold physical document.
    Enforcement of that is different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

That used to be the case, but not any more.
    Now you don't need to hand over your old licence until new one arrives.

CiniO wrote: »
    That used to be the case, but not any more.
    Now you don't need to hand over your old licence until new one arrives.

Untrue. My wife had to hand hers in on application

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Untrue. My wife had to hand hers in on application

Only if the licence has expired. My licence had a number of weeks to go and I asked and got it back.

gozunda wrote: »
    Only if the licence has expired. My licence had a number of weeks to go and I asked and got it back.

My wife's was valid for another decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

My wife's was valid for another decade.

Maybe that's the reason so. In the case of a soon to expire license It's necessary to ask for it back if it it is still valid but normally a short period - otherwise they will keep the licence

Advertisement