Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman: The Animated Series - Blu-ray release

Options
  • 21-07-2018 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭

Amazon have put up a pre-order for Batman The Animated Series on Blu-ray since last night.

A deluxe edition box set is up on Amazon at the moment.

819BcYYHemL._SL1500_.jpg

Further details regarding the contents & release date of the set will be announced at Hall H later this evening.

Amazon.com have it priced at $112.99

Amazon.fr have it priced at €59.99

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Slydice wrote: »
    Is that in english?

No. It is in French.

If you have a web browser like Chrome. It will translate it to English.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

No. It is in French.

If you have a web browser like Chrome. It will translate it to English.

No like.. the Bluray... will it be English language or dubbed french? My guess is it's gotta have english as an alternative selection option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Slydice wrote: »
    No like.. the Bluray... will it be English language or dubbed french? My guess is it's gotta have english as an alternative selection option.

Any special/limited editions Ive bought from non english language countrirs have been English discs with options for different countries. Outside cover was the only difference

Sorry Slydice.

The Blu-rays will be in English language with options with different languages & subtitles.

There is stuff being announced from WB/DC at San Diego Comic Con right now.

I don't know when other details Batman The Animated Series on Blu-ray will be announced yet during their panel.

Keep up with this for updates in the meantime.

https://batman-news.com/2018/07/21/aquaman-wonder-woman-1984-shazam-live-blog-comic-con/

• Advertisement

I've only discovered that the DCTV presentation at SDCC will be on later at 12:15am Irish time in Room 6DE.

That will have the BTAS announcement for Blu-ray by then.

Some really good news here guys. I just heard from an IGN video which featured Kevin Conroy & Loren Lester confirmed that the Bruce Timm movies Mask of The Phantasm & Subzero will be included on Blu-ray as a bonus with all of the 109 episodes in the box set. The release date for the set is October 16th 2018.

Here are a few comparison shots for you. The left side of the image is shown in SD. The right hand side is in HD.

Diqo_7HX4AAy37O.jpg

Diqo_6IX4AYPvwI.jpg

DiqsrNrX4AITsZL.jpg

DiqsrN5XkAEq8Vl.jpg

Diq2TSiXUAA8M19.jpg

Diq2TSiWAAAn2Rt.jpg

Diq2TSlX0AA4OCQ.jpg

I have just seen pictures of the new box art on Twitter. The box art features Batman when the show is in the end credits. It is coloured red & black.

DiquOPMX0AAmRgz.jpg

Box set features included so far:

-THE ENTIRE SERIES, remastered.
    -Remasters of Mask of the Phantasm & Sub-Zero.
    -Select Audio commentaries
    -3 Funko Pops
    -Art book leaflet
    -New 60 minute "Heart of the Batman" featurette.

More details soon.

Article & press release for BTAS on Blu-ray.

The set will contain 10 Blu-ray discs for the series. 2 Blu-ray discs will be also included for the Bruce Timm movies.

Not bad at all from WB.

New cover art for the French set is up. Note this is just for a standard set.

81pgclgcrvl._sl1500_1oif3i.jpg

Good news guys. The UK pre-order for the standard edition is up on Amazon for £57.99.

The release date for this one is Monday the 22nd of October.

71JkMP0JHKL._SX342_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Batman-The-Complete-Animated-Series-Blu-ray/dp/B07G4CKGXK?SubscriptionId=AKIAIY4YSQJMFDJATNBA&tag=bluraycom-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07G4CKGXK&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,951 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I have such strong, favourable memories of this show, I'm almost reluctant to re-watch it, the tiniest bit afraid it'd not be as good as I remember

The comparison between the SD and HD pictures, is it just me or is the picture just a little to bright? have we lost the gloom and darkness of the original, im sure they could improve the picture without sacrificing the colour or the overall tone of the animated series which to me is darkness, just my opinion not bashing it.

I have more updates for you guys.

First; some good news! There will be free digital copies included in this Blu-ray set. But I don't know if it will them include for here & the UK. Maybe further updates from you guys will keep us posted. I heard WB don't have a good record putting in free DC's with some their complete TV Blu-ray box sets. I know the Batman '66 set didn't have them at all when they were first sold over here & the UK over four years ago. Hopefully WB will do something with including the DC's with this set but I'm not hedging my bets. The release date has also been delayed for 2 weeks to the 30th of October.

https://batman-news.com/2018/08/28/first-look-at-batman-the-animated-series-in-1080p-hd-coming-to-blu-ray-and-digital-in-october/

WB have released a remastered intro for the series in HD. I had a look earlier in 1080p & the quality looks incredible. The colours more notably the reds comes up really strong in the intro's background. It is just a perfect HD remaster with just looking at it on it's own. There is also no juddering issues present when it's compared with their current DVD box sets. The HD remaster sorts that out with getting rid of all of it. This remaster makes that problem turn into a really clear image.

There is also comparison videos which compares the intro in SD & HD. SD is on the left. HD is on the right. But my god; the difference between either side is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Most epic scene of all time.......... Still gives me goosebumps every time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,951 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The original version of the intro comes off very... janky, compared with that remastered footage. Was the original broadcast footage at a lesser framerate or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I've always been a massive fan of Batman:TAS. I have a production cel (Not one of those "limited Editions") from the Legends of The Dark Knight episode where they do Frank Millar's Dark Knight and it's one of my favourite things. I was never into comics when growing up. Large Irish family in the 70's? Who could afford it? But I always remember the 90's animated series.
    I remember saying to someone before (And on a thread here somewhere) the difference between Batman:TAS and the movies at that time: In the movies Batman had a bat credit card and was driving up walls in the batmobile. In the animated series they were asking how sane a person is who dresses up like that and fights crime and also, how responsible is he for the actions/creation of his villains. Had sympathetic villains: Of course the tragic re-invention of Mister Freeze but even Clayface. Harley Quinn was a traumatized and heart-breaking victim of domestic violence: Broken, incapable of ridding herself of her tormentor for any length of time. Not the one-note sexpot she has been portrayed as since (And since she originated on TAS I take her TAS persona as the legit version). Her relationship with Poison Ivy was believable and not (very) exploitative (Maybe a little). But for a 90's cartoon series the very thought of portraying a same-sex relationship, no matter how coyly done, was shocking and very brave. One can only imagine how they are going to twist that for titillation in the next movie (If it ever happens)

So yeah..... TLDR: A must buy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

pixelburp wrote: »
    The original version of the intro comes off very... janky, compared with that remastered footage. Was the original broadcast footage at a lesser framerate or something?

Given that they were hand animated at the time they were probably animated at 18 frames per second which would have been standard for Warner Bros TV at that time. Probably resampled to fill in the missing 6 frames per second that would be standard now.

Much movie and TV anime is still 18 FPS which does jar a bit (Especially during pan-shots with moving background animation)

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

I'm a bit confused by the multiple editions of this release. The only listing on Amazon.co.uk has "deluxe limited edition" on the front cover, but I presume it's different to the US limited edition, which has some Funko Pops included. Is there even a standard edition outside of the US, or will that come later?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,434 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

You can get the Funko version here on the HMV website it's for release on November 9th.

Over the last few hours; I have heard reports from some people on Blu-ray.com that when they received the LE Blu-ray set from Amazon.com; the level of damage on the outer boxes can vary with each ordered set from either having slight damage, being crushed or completely destroyed when it arrives to them by post. I have heard that the amazon.com packaging for these sets have been absolute rubbish so far. When Amazon delivers some of these LE's; they will arrive in white bubble mailer envelopes with blue prime logos printed all over the outside of them. It is cheapest packaging that you can get with them really. I'm not sure if the prime envelopes are only given to prime members though or extended to anyone else. But it is very distressing for people who bought this set with their hard earned cash only to find that their ordered product was only slightly to badly damaged.

Some of the photographs can be horrible to look at though on Blu-ray.com.

But to save time I will give you an unboxing video to give you a preview of the set.

Although some people in the USA ironically have received their packages perfectly delivered from Amazon or from other online retailers there like deepdiscount.com & traditional ones like Best Buy. I don't know Amazon's UK policy is going to fair with the delivery of this boxset to fans of the show. Fingers crossed yours will be fine if you order it from them and get it delivered to you safe & sound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

My copy from Amazon.co.uk arrived today and, based off what I was told, it came unharmed. I'm especially looking forward to watching Mask of the Phantasm in HD, though I'm sure I'll get around to a full rewatch of the series at some point.

Thar_Cian wrote: »
    My copy from Amazon.co.uk arrived today and, based off what I was told, it came unharmed. I'm especially looking forward to watching Mask of the Phantasm in HD, though I'm sure I'll get around to a full rewatch of the series at some point.

Great stuff. I'm glad to hear everything went well for you with the delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Thar_Cian wrote: »

I hate you........

Most epic scene of all time , I dont care what anyone says!

Advertisement