Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiling a chimney breast with a fireplace insert

Options
  • 20-07-2018 10:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all,
    I'm not sure if I can explain this properly without an illustration but I'll try!
    We have a double sided fireplace insert and were hoping to tile the whole chimney and leave just the glass part showing.
    However the stove/chimney insert has been placed in the space for it and there is a gap on either side. Apparently you need to have air circulating around it. My partner now says that the only way that we will be able to tile around the stove will be to attach a concrete piece over it.
    I would love if there was some way we could tile over it and keep it flush without this piece jutting out but he says there is no other way. Does any body have any suggestions please?

P.s- The chimney breast is 17 feet high and the tiles have already arrived :eek:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Going by what you described,you want to tile from the floor or hearth up and around the stove.
    There is tile adhesive and grout for this which allows for expansion and contraction caused by the heat of the stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 niamh_sull

Going by what you described,you want to tile from the floor or hearth up and around the stove.
    There is tile adhesive and grout for this which allows for expansion and contraction caused by the heat of the stove.

Attaching a pic to explain!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 niamh_sull

niamh_sull wrote: »
    Attaching a pic to explain!

Here it is

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

niamh_sull wrote: »
    Here it is

I'd first off clarify with the stove supplier what is and isn't permitted. no point paying for the stove and not getting the benefit and potentially doing damage to it.

Advertisement