Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 Updates Failing

Options
  • 20-07-2018 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭

For the past year or so, Windows Update has constantly tried to update Windows and has failed.

I get an error code 0x8007007e.

The registry is fine and any online help all leads to the same downloadable patch from Windows, which doesn't work.

Its a legitimate version from the free Windows 8 update a year or so back.

Windows 10 has caused me nothing but pain, so I'm half thinking of downgrading to Windows 7, but if anyone has better recommendations, I'd really appreciate it.

Beverly Hills, California

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Google is the best advice for a problem like this. Its unlikely you will get a better reply on Boards

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ESMITH29

homer911 wrote: »
    Google is the best advice for a problem like this. Its unlikely you will get a better reply on Boards

Google is great but I'm sure every forum query on this site can be googled originally.

I've used Google, but to no avail, so I'm looking to see if anyone has had a similar issue on this Windows forum. I have tried google but to no avail.

Just want to see if anyone has had similar issues.

Besides, google mostly generates forum questions, so why not ask my own.

ESMITH29 wrote: »
    Google is great but I'm sure every forum query on this site can be googled originally.

I've used Google, but to no avail, so I'm looking to see if anyone has had a similar issue. I have tried google but to no avail.

Just want to see if anyone has had similar issues.

Besides, google mostly generates forum questions, so why not ask my own.

Thank you though, I know you're being serious. If you have a link, I'd be grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

There is an offline updater ( say if you had 10 computers to update, it'd save downloading the same updates over n over )

http://download.wsusoffline.net/wsusoffline114.zip

( from here : http://download.wsusoffline.net/ )

That will go off and download the updates from windows and install them

gctest50 wrote: »
    There is an offline updater ( say if you had 10 computers to update, it'd save downloading the same updates over n over )

http://download.wsusoffline.net/wsusoffline114.zip

( from here : http://download.wsusoffline.net/ )

That will go off and download the updates from windows and install them

Cheers, I'll give this a go.

It's only 5mb in size though, do I need to download further files?

• Advertisement

No, just extract the folder in it to your desktop or somewhere and click on

UpdateGenerator

then click on the boxes to tell it what kind of system you have

It will go off an do the rest by itself

Then when it finishes downloading all the updates, click on the folder marked

client

then click

UpdateInstaller

and that will install the updates you just downloaded

• Registered Users Posts: 7 brady099

Uninstall ALL 3rd party antivirus/security programs and then run its maker's removal tool to prevent trouble causing remnants. Use Windows Defender which in Windows 10 is a full antivirus. 

• Registered Users Posts: 10 HowardJDavis

brady099 wrote: »
    Uninstall ALL 3rd party antivirus/security programs and then run its maker's removal tool to prevent trouble causing remnants. Use Windows Defender which in Windows 10 is a full antivirus. 

I think so. I do not recommend any 3rd party AV decisions on W10.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Mine keep failing too sometimes they work and other times they don't. I don't know if its a hardware issue or what it is. If I take it into a PC doctor they will sort it out no problem. Could be the hard drive acting up as well they only work for so long and to replace them. Older PC's probably have more of the issues than a newer one.

They say not to run a different antivirus software best to stick with Windows Defender runs better on windows 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 JamesAlison

You have to submit this problem on Microsoft forum. Where you will get all problem solution by Microsoft certified Experts. Sometimes there is glitch present in updates through this you will face the issue in the update.

Advertisement