Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ducting cooker extracter fan though roof?

Options
  • 20-07-2018 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭

My wife, being Chinese, pretty much stir fries everything when cooking. Whilst tasty it puts a lot of oil into the kitchen which the current overhead extracter (air recycling) simply cannot cope with, its frankly disgusting above it .
    I want to replace it with a more powerful unit that extracts outside preferably.
    Unfortunately the wall on the side of the house where the kitchen is is our neighbours side passageway.
    Relations are not great with them to be honest and I don't want to even try asking for access to put a hole in the wall to duct out my wife's kitchen cooking odors..that is a non runner.

Our house is a bungalow so was wondering if I could simply duct though the roof instead or perhaps run a longer duct to a hole on the wall at the end of the house facing the garden.
    I'd rather not have the run very long as its going to be full of grease and a likely vermin magnet and probably plain nasty over time to boot.

Would going straight up though the roof be a runner instead?, is such a thing possible, has anyone attempted this before?.

Our kitchen is due a revamp anyhow (when funds permit..) and I was thinking the only other option would be to get a decent air recyclable one for now and when we have the funds move the cooking area to a wall that faces our garden then and put an extracting version in then.

Any suggestions?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

You can vent through the roof. You need to remove a tile / slate and replace with a tile specially made for this situation. Most big builders metchants should have some in stock or will order for you. Just done it myself 2 months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

You could book yourselves into a few date night cooking classes, might be cheaper in the short term.

If you are doing anything with the roof yourself be sure that you are capable of doing it safely and correctly.

Before making a decision if you are planning on a revamp any way I would try do two designs, to move the cooker or not and get everything costed.

Advertisement