Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Own ltd company purchased car- how to insure

Options
  • 20-07-2018 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,

I have rung about 15 companies for motor insurance with no luck.
    I am purchasing a car via my company.
    It is one car, not fleet insurance. It is not a commercial vehicle like a van so many dont insure it commercially.
    It will be used for personal use. My account is fully informed and has reviewed the whole thing I am not looking for advice on tax etc.
    However I cant get a quote as the car is not under my name, and I cant get a quote for the business as there is no no claimed bonus for the company.
    Anyone know what way this is normally done?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Not quite the same as you but when I went from private to commercial insurance I had a full no claims bonus on the private insurance. They won't transfer private no claims bonus to a commercial policy. I had to start from scratch & it took 5 years to get a full no claims bonus.

Will your existing insurance company not quote you?

Have you tried sitting down with a broker & explain everything. You'll have better success this way than trying online.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Golgotha

I have to start fr scratch, but I cant get a quote without having a no claims bonus, catch 22.
    I have talked to many. Several changed their minds more than once whether they would cover this situation.
    was your car in your company name? do you mind saying who you used?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Who is your business insured with?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

I did this 2 years ago, they transferred my personal no claims bonus to the company insurance.

AIG via chill. Another broker have said they will arrange something with AIG if I move my company insurance to them. I will hear back on Monday if they can do this.
    Chill were not able to help in this way.

• Advertisement

xabi wrote: »
    I did this 2 years ago, they transferred my personal no claims bonus to the company insurance.

Hi Xabi, the car was under your company name and they moved your personal no claimed bonus? I would like to know who does that please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

Golgotha wrote: »
    Hi Xabi, the car was under your company name and they moved your personal no claimed bonus? I would like to know who does that please.

When I bought the car I rang them to tell them the story, they initially said that I would have to start from scratch, but eventually said they could move my NCB as I threatened to look elsewhere. AXA, BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,928 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Golgotha wrote: »
    I have to start fr scratch, but I cant get a quote without having a no claims bonus, catch 22.
    I have talked to many. Several changed their minds more than once whether they would cover this situation.
    was your car in your company name? do you mind saying who you used?

Sorry I should have said, I'm a Sole Trader & not a Limited Company.

I found AXA very good. Went in to local office & explained everything to branch manager. He in turn rang one of their underwriters & explained everything. I had another black mark against me that you wont have ( I wont go into it here) but once everything was explained I got it. I was so happy I moved my house & wife's insurance to them.

Advertisement