Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about painting window frames

Options
  • 20-07-2018 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

We recently had all our windows replaced with double-glazed units, just the glass but keeping the old frames. Hardwood strips were fitted to the frames to keep the new glass panels in place. Sealant was used between the strips and the glass. We then had the whole lot painted. My understanding was that in a situation like this the paint should be brought slightly onto the glass in order to provide a seal so that water couldn't get between the strips and the glass. However the painter didn't do this, although he did a nice neat job.

So I'm wondering if some sort of sealant should now be applied to where the wooden strips meet the glass or if the fact that there is already silicone sealant unde the strips is enough protection against water ingress. I tried to paint over the 'gap' and slightly onto the glass myself on one window but the paint didn't take for some reason, though there was no sealant there. It just wouldn't stay or form a skin.

Any advice welcome thanks.

Advertisement