Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting 50-80 MBps on 240MBps connection via powerline adapters

Options
  • 20-07-2018 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've had this issue for a while, but didn't want to call Virgin Media to fix it because there doesn't appear to be an issue with the 3.0 Hub.

I tested the connection via a Cat6 cable directly from the laptop to the hub, and ran a speedtest on fast.com: 240Mbps.

I have a set of Tenda P1000 Gigabit Powerline adapters:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DIUUIVY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are plugged directly into the wall, no surge socket, using Cat6 cables. My Ethernet status report 1.0 Gbps.

My internet speed is never more than 70 Mbps. I can't run a cable (too far and I'm renting the accommodation), hence the powerline adapters.
    Could noise really reduce the speed that much? When I tested the adapters side by side (in the same socket) I got 240. However, when I use the other adapter upstairs in my bedroom, the speed drops by 66%.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I have a set of Tenda P1000 Gigabit Powerline adapters:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01DIUUIVY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are plugged directly into the wall, no surge socket, using Cat6 cables. My Ethernet status report 1.0 Gbps.

My internet speed is never more than 70 Mbps. I can't run a cable (too far and I'm renting the accommodation), hence the powerline adapters.
    Could noise really reduce the speed that much?

As a general rule expect to get @30-40% of the headline speed for powerline adaptors in use.

The 1st troubleshooting step in identifying the source of the issue is to plug a Device with a Gigabit NIC directly into your VM hub and run a speedtest.
    If that reports 240mb, the issue is the adapters.

VM won't troubleshoot an issue on 3rd party hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Could it be the wiring in the house (The house is fairly old)?

I tested the adapters by putting them both into the same 2-plug socket beside the hub, then connecting directly to the laptop. 240MBps.
    My bedroom is on the first floor, so it's not more than 25 metres or so away.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Could it be the wiring in the house (The house is fairly old)?

I tested the adapters by putting them both into the same 2-plug socket beside the hub, then connecting directly to the laptop. 240MBps.
    My bedroom is on the first floor, so it's not more than 25 metres or so away.

Its on a different ring to the CU(Fusebox). That's probably the main cause. 25 meters away, large dwelling?

Anyways, unless you've influence on devices plugged in which I suspect you don't then thats just something you'll have to live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Actually, I don't know where I got the 25 meters from. D'oh. More like 10 meters at the max.

I'll pick up a 5ghz wifi dongle, hopefully that will improve things.

Thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I've tried 200 mbs adapters in a few houses and 50 - 80 seems to be the speed I usually obtain too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

tuxy wrote: »
    I've tried 200 mbs adapters in a few houses and 50 - 80 seems to be the speed I usually obtain too.

200s have 100Mb ports that will max out at 95Mb in the best possible conditions.

Advertisement