Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

3 fortune tellers have told me the same bad thing.

  • #1
    Registered Users Posts: 20 ✭✭✭ Megslee


    So I attended a fortune teller a few years back named Conor from castledaly. He told me I would not stay with the man I am with today.

    We are together 5 years. Its Rocky, I will admit, there are a lot of fights over nothing, and disagreements with shouting, and clashing of personality. But I don't want to be with anyone else, only him and he feels the same if not more. I could not love anyone else, the thought of me being with someone else breaks my heart.

    I attended Caitlin in kilbeggan a few months back who said the same thing as did a dolorous lady in roscommon as of recent.

    All 3 said some other man will cross my path, dolorous saying it will be by this Christmas and that I will enter the new year with someone else.
    I really don't want to meet anyone else but I'm worried this will happen after 3 fortune tellers saying the same thing. All said the ball is in my court and I will make the decision to break up.

    How accurate are fortune tellers? The fact that 3 said the same thing , should I just assume the relationship to be doomed? I feel very down over this and I'm surprised because I didn't think it would affect me this much


Comments



  • I think this is more person issues, but it's all cold reading.

    They probably asked leading questions to ascertain your current relationship status and fed you the same vague BS that all "psychics and mediums" shovel because you have doubts.

    I wouldn't take it to heart.

    Also, stop giving these charlatans money. All it is doing is fuelling this doubt.




  • Stop listening to fortune tellers & live your own life.
    Why would you think some random stranger could tell you the future?




  • Thanks guys, feeling a bit better now. I have spent a bit of money on them so I do need to stop.
    I suppose when they all said the same thing. Both the most recent ones saying id reel in the new year with someone else. This made me very weary.
    Also they said things that were strange that no one could have known like things that were only special and specific to me and were not general




  • This fellow is interesting - he debunks

    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/11270453/James-Randi-debunking-the-king-of-the-debunkers.html

    I’m very scepitical of what you have been told

    Please try some relationship councelling and forget about these fortune tellers.




  • Very interesting story here. My sister was obsessed with fortune tellers. My brother offered to pay for one of her visits on the condition that she voice recorded the session so we could listen back.

    The exact condition was that she was not to listen back until we were all sitting down to listen.

    She came back full to the brim with praise for the teller. Said he knew things about her that he couldn't possibly have known, like her partner's profession for example. He also knew that she was going to a christening in the near future.

    When we listened back, what we heard was incredible.

    Yes, he mentioned the christening. That was what she remembered because it resonated with her. What she didn't remember was that he also mentioned a 21st, a wedding and a baby shower.

    She had no recollection of this either, but it was clear as day on the recording, she had told him her partner's profession.

    Edit: Sorry, wasn't finished and computer had a meltdown.

    Basically, these guys just bombard you with info from the minute you sit down. The amount this guy spoke was unbelievable. You can only take in so much and naturally you are going to filter out anything that doesn't relate to you.

    I watched a brilliant show years ago where a guy (may have been Derren Brown) gets 5 people from 5 different countries/continents. Each one has to trace their palm onto a sheet of paper and put that page into an envelope, along with a personal item of sentimental value. Based on this info alone, he would read their fortune.

    He does so and returns all envelopes to the 5 participants. They are asked to take out the fortune and read it. They are asked how accurate it is. They all state that it is highly accurate. They are then told to retrieve their items and palm tracing from their envelopes. Oh wait. Everyone had the wrong envelope? Crap. Sorry about that, switch! Now you will have to read the correct fortune, the one that was originally meant for you. What's that you say? The fortune you have in front of you now is the same one as you had before??

    The 5 'fortunes' were all the same. Yet everyone had been convinced they were so accurate and whats more, unique to them.

    The letter was so full of crap that there was something almost everyone could have picked out as being relevant to their lives.

    Food for thought


  • Advertisement


  • Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Very interesting story here. My sister was obsessed with fortune tellers. My brother offered to pay for one of her visits on the condition that she voice recorded the session so we could listen back.

    The exact condition was that she was not to listen back until we were all sitting down to listen.

    She came back full to the brim with praise for the teller. Said he knew things about her that he couldn't possibly have known, like her partner's profession for example. He also knew that she was going to a christening in the near future.

    When we listened back, what we heard was incredible.

    Yes, he mentioned the christening. That was what she remembered because it resonated with her. What she didn't remember was that he also mentioned a 21st, a wedding and a baby shower.

    She had no recollection of this either, but it was clear as day on the recording, she had told him her partner's profession.


    Wow... it's almost like they could search them on social media and easily glean this information with a few open ended questions leading you to think that they got that information from out of nowhere! :pac:




  • Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Very interesting story here. My sister was obsessed with fortune tellers. My brother offered to pay for one of her visits on the condition that she voice recorded the session so we could listen back.

    The exact condition was that she was not to listen back until we were all sitting down to listen.

    She came back full to the brim with praise for the teller. Said he knew things about her that he couldn't possibly have known, like her partner's profession for example. He also knew that she was going to a christening in the near future.

    When we listened back, what we heard was incredible.

    Yes, he mentioned the christening. That was what she remembered because it resonated with her. What she didn't remember was that he also mentioned a 21st, a wedding and a baby shower.

    She had no recollection of this either, but it was clear as day on the recording, she had told him her partner's profession.

    Your sister sounds exactly like me haha




  • verycool wrote: »
    Wow... it's almost like they could search them on social media and easily glean this information with a few open ended questions leading you to think that they got that information from out of nowhere! :pac:

    This was prior social media but yeah I get your point




  • I'm still of the opinion that they can be genuine. Two fortune tellers told me the exact same thing about reeling in the new year with another man. And I definitly did not mishear this.

    I also had this thing about worrying about not being able to have children because infertility runs in my family. This was always a worry of mine. I didn't obsess with it, but it was always in the back of my mind that ivf may have to be a consideration of mine in the future.
    BOTH fortune tellers said to me at random in the middle of the conversation "why do you think you won't be able to have children?". I thought this was creepy. If someone has an explanation for this, please fire away because after the readings I would rather them to have been scams!




  • Megslee wrote: »
    I'm still of the opinion that they can be genuine. Two fortune tellers told me the exact same thing about reeling in the new year with another man. And I definitly did not mishear this.

    I also had this thing about worrying about not being able to have children because infertility runs in my family. This was always a worry of mine. I didn't obsess with it, but it was always in the back of my mind that ivf may have to be a consideration of mine in the future.
    BOTH fortune tellers said to me at random in the middle of the conversation "why do you think you won't be able to have children?". I thought this was creepy. If someone has an explanation for this, please fire away because after the readings I would rather them to have been scams!

    Well, generally, on the first point I would be of the opinion that people don't tend to visit a fortune teller if they feel their life is 100% and they are on top of everything.

    A woman comes in, and I don't know your age, but if you are around the 20s or older, they are going to hazard a guess that it is man trouble.

    Again, anyone who visits a fortune teller is obviously a worrier. After all, they are there to be told that everything is going to work out. Most women worry about not being able to have children. Or will have at least worried about it at one point, even if only for a moment. From their point of view, it's worth the risk asking you. After all, if it's not relevant to you, you will most likely forget that they asked.

    By the way - I don't judge you for going. I hope my post doesn't come across that way.


  • Advertisement


  • Let's see....

    If I was a 'fortune teller', and a young woman came to see me, what would I ask myself....? I'd start with 'is this young woman worried about something? Is there something on her mind?' I'd presume she was, because that's why young women go to see these emotional parasites. My next question would be 'Now what three things are these young women usually worried about?'. I'd then proceed with (a) relationships, (b) children, and (c) deceased family. I'd let naivety, trust, and confirmation bias take care of the details.

    Don't waste your money. Those pricks don't deserve it.




  • Debunking fortune tellers etc

    https://youtu.be/uq5MtA33OHk




  • Thanks guys for the replies! Do any of yee believe they can talk to spirits?
    They said things that were not relevant to anyone else really. Don't want to go into detail really but it was specific enough with names and descriptions of the spirits




  • I must say I do feel a little better now after talking to yee guys! It got to a point today where I got off the phone to my partner and bawled my eyes out because I felt i wouldn't spend the remaining of my life with him




  • Megslee wrote:
    Thanks guys for the replies! Do any of yee believe they can talk to spirits? They said things that were not relevant to anyone else really. Don't want to go into detail really but it was specific enough with names and descriptions of the spirits


    You are convinced this b.s. is real and I doubt anything said here will sway you otherwise. These charletons work on the basis of leading and general questions. They are not there to help you only to lighten your purse/wallet.




  • What's the process of getting them to do a reading?
    How much info do you give like name number method of payment?
    How long before your reading is it booked?

    Basically wondering how much time and info have they to go with?




  • Megslee wrote: »
    I must say I do feel a little better now after talking to yee guys! It got to a point today where I got off the phone to my partner and bawled my eyes out because I felt i wouldn't spend the remaining of my life with him
    Mind yourself.




  • What's the process of getting them to do a reading?
    How much info do you give like name number method of payment?
    How long before your reading is it booked?

    Basically wondering how much time and info have they to go with?

    In my experiences, they had my phone number from ringing them. I removed my WhatsApp profile picture incase that would give them clues, they only knew my FIRST name. I would not have given my second name even if they asked. And method of payment was cash. I got my appointments within a couple of days




  • Hitman3000 wrote: »
    You are convinced this b.s. is real and I doubt anything said here will sway you otherwise. These charletons work on the basis of leading and general questions. They are not there to help you only to lighten your purse/wallet.

    I would say I definitly question their attempt to predict the future. However, I do believe they could be connecting with spirits related to me




  • Just googled my number and it shows so much info from adds I had on Donedeal to work etc. Seconds would give you a lot of info on somebody that could be used.

    Focus on your relationship and live in the now. :)


  • Advertisement


  • Megslee wrote: »
    I would say I definitly question their attempt to predict the future. However, I do believe they could be connecting with spirits related to me
    Why do you suppose they can do one extraordinary thing that they claim to be able to do, but can't do another extraordinary thing that they claim to be able to do?

    Easy to disprove the former. Just wait for the future to arrive. The second, not so much. If you want to believe it, you'll believe it.




  • Megslee wrote: »
    Thanks guys for the replies! Do any of yee believe they can talk to spirits?
    They said things that were not relevant to anyone else really. Don't want to go into detail really but it was specific enough with names and descriptions of the spirits


    Anyone can talk to the spirits, the difference is a "psychic" will try to convince you that the spirits are talking back. The modern phenomenon was if not founded then at least popularised by three American sisters in the 1880's. Even though one of them eventually admitted the whole thing was a fake.

    There are loads of videos, books, articles explaining exactly how a so called psychic uses cold reading to create the impression that they're relaying some personal information gleaned from the spirit world or their ability to see "beyond the veil". It's possible some of them are deluding themselves but I suspect they're basically charlatans.
    The OP might recognise some of the techniques in the following video






  • but just as you said one of them told you, the ball is in your court regardless.

    i will say that I got freaked out once when i had a gf go to one who told her things about me that she didn't even know. he was very accurate, and it changed my attitude on them somewhat as i had never believed in them.

    but he was not correct about everything. he said i would 'get into music' in terms of career and while I am big into listening to music and have often wished i could make music, I've tried playing instruments and don't have the natural talent, can play basic things but don't really understand it. and while i like to sing I would be too shy to do it in public. i am creative but the art i do is not music.

    he also she would follow a line of creative work that i don't think she has actually pursued.

    ultimately our free will always determines our actions and i think if there are such things as genuine psychics they would agree with that and also admit they don't get everything right.

    if you want things to work out with your partner then figure our what is causing the fights and try to work on that together.

    i agree with the poster who said 'worriers' go to psychics, and look how now he/she's given you something to worry about even more! but there's no need to worry about something you (and your partner) have the ability to alter.

    they could also be totally chancing their arm. a lot of people break up and they could be thinking that if you do happen to break up but you don't meet abother man by the New Year they can sell you another reading to find out where your mystery man is.

    I would try to just push it to the back of my mind, stop worrying. this is why, even if there are genuine psychics, I don't fancy going to them. i have enough to worry about already rather than worry about some prophecy coming true and i don't want to feel like i am powerless over the future.




  • Megslee wrote:
    I would say I definitly question their attempt to predict the future. However, I do believe they could be connecting with spirits related to me


    I wish you no offence, but these parasites prey on vulnerable people. How many sessions do you think you may need to avail of to hear all you need off your 'related spirit's. I wish you well and take care.


Advertisement