Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi very slow on laptop but good on phone??

Options
  • 19-07-2018 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

Lately my Lenovo laptop is very slow accessing wifi in my house.Ran a few speedtests today and its getting between 1mb and 6mb. Run same speedtest on android phone and it regularly hits the 27mb that I normally get....Is there a virus on my laptop thats slowing it down so much??Very frustrating

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

toby2111 wrote: »
    Lately my Lenovo laptop is very slow accessing wifi in my house.Ran a few speedtests today and its getting between 1mb and 6mb. Run same speedtest on android phone and it regularly hits the 27mb that I normally get....Is there a virus on my laptop thats slowing it down so much??Very frustrating

1st step: Ping your own router from each device from the same place (assuming theyre both connecting to the same SSID). Compare the latency. That'll leave the internet out of the equation and focus on your wifi connection only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Guess what, just started running a system scan with bitdefender on laptop about 10 minutes ago.....Ran speedtest on laptop,results=ping 16, 28.58 down and 5.28 up!!!Best its been in a few days. Phone was ping 18,27 down and 7.33 up.
    Could the scan have fixed it??Its still running,only at 9% now.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭umop episdn

Guess what, just started running a system scan with bitdefender on laptop about 10 minutes ago.....Ran speedtest on laptop,results=ping 16, 28.58 down and 5.28 up!!!Best its been in a few days. Phone was ping 18,27 down and 7.33 up.

Highly unlikely would be my guess, ....see how it is after the scan though.

Guess what, just started running a system scan with Bitdefender on laptop about 10 minutes ago.....Ran speedtest on laptop,results=ping 16, 28.58 down and 5.28 up!!!Best its been in a few days. Phone was ping 18,27 down and 7.33 up.

Did Bitdefender say it had found anything during its scan up to the 9%.

No, nothing, still scanning, at 9%. Maybe the laptop is banjaxed!

• Advertisement

No, nothing, still scanning, at 9%. Maybe the laptop is banjaxed!

Bit soon to be coming to that conclusion, I'd say..

I don't know much about these things! Still scanning at 9%. Seems to be running much quicker now though...

Advertisement