Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missed flight due to a baggage delay

Options
  • 19-07-2018 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭

I missed a flight from Stansted to Cork yesterday evening (18 July) because I arrived on a connecting flight before that (Warsaw Modlin to Stansted) and this flight was delayed by two hours. That wasn't a factor though, I would still have made the flight to Cork but there was a delay with the baggage coming off the Warsaw flight.
    The flight arrived into Stansted at 19.00 (instead of 17.05) and baggage from the flight was then delayed by an hour. The gate for the Cork flight closed at 20.05 so it was too late for me to check in to it by the time my baggage arrived. Both flights were Ryanair. I don't think I'll get anywhere because in the refund form it stipulates if the flight has been delayed by more than three hours. Mine wasn't delayed by three hours but the extra hour over the baggage delay caused me to miss the second flight.
    The refund form doesn't have an option for "missed flight because of baggage delay".
    I left three hours between the first flight and the second one. I thought that would be enough as Stansted has only one terminal and the check-in desks are two minutes walk from the baggage retrieval area.
    I won't be flying Ryanair again but that's scant consolation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Ryanair don't do flight connections and don't hide it. You plan connections at your own risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,027 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Ryanair are a point to point airline.

It's up to the customer to make any connections as each is sold separately.

The fact that it took Stanstead an hour to take the bags off the flight is of no concern to Ryanair.

Tough, but that is the risk you take with making your own connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭lukin

OK I might complain to Stansted but that will probably get me nowhere. I flew into Stansted from Cork the day before for the flight to Warsaw and my luggage was delayed coming off that flight too. I didn't have to make the flight out until the following day so it didn't matter on that occasion. A taxi driver told me there are always delays with luggage in Stansted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭irelandrover

i thought Ryanair started doing connecting flights.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/ryanair-offers-connecting-flights-for-the-first-time-1.3039316

OP, did you have one reservation number for both flights or seperate numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,835 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

That's basically it. You should have booked a ticket from Warsaw to cork. Then and delays would have been covered. As pointed out above though you can't do this with ryanair and you have already made the decision not to fly with them again.
    Just make sure next time, no matter who you are flying with, you book a ticket from start point to final destination because if you try to do it cheap by booking separate flights, you could end up in the same boat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭lukin

i thought Ryanair started doing connecting flights.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/ryanair-offers-connecting-flights-for-the-first-time-1.3039316

OP, did you have one reservation number for both flights or seperate numbers?

Separate numbers for both flights. I was trying to save a few quid but it didn't work out. Lesson learned anyway. I have had delays on Ryanair flights before but this is the first time it's cost me money.
    I managed to get a flight to Cork out of Heathrow this morning but I had to get a bus to Heathrow from Stansted last night and also stay in London last night. Taxis cost a few quid too.

Advertisement