Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing a 3" extractor fan with a 4" extractor fan

Options
  • 19-07-2018 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi everyone,

I want to replace the bathroom extractor fan. Turns out that the old one was 3" while all the new ones are 4". Would anyone know how I can replace the 3" fan with the 4" fan?

Both the old and new fan have a diameter of 100mm.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You've said old and new fan are 100mm? then how did the old one fit in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Hoog27

The diameter of both fans is 100mm.

The length of the fans differ. The old one was 3" and that fit in the ceiling.

There is a turn in the ducting so that the 4" one does not fit, there's about 1" that can't go up in the ceiling/ducting. Because of that turn there's not enough space for 4".

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,871 ✭✭✭cletus

Could you take a picture maybe

Hoog27 wrote: »
    The diameter of both fans is 100mm.

The length of the fans differ. The old one was 3" and that fit in the ceiling.

There is a turn in the ducting so that the 4" one does not fit, there's about 1" that can't go up in the ceiling/ducting. Because of that turn there's not enough space for 4".

Thanks

Is it like a plastic wavin pipe that is 4" that goes into the ceiling?

If so, you just mark it an inch in and use a hacksaw on it to cut it down to size, I do believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Hoog27

Thanks!

KVV, that would be a solution.

One more question: The pipe goes up 3 inches and then takes off to the right. That means it probably won't do much ventilation if the fan only reaches the ceiling and wouldn't be connected to the ducting that's going to the right.

What kind of fan do you need for that, so that the air can go sideways in the ceiling?

I did take pictures but I don't see the button here to allow you to upload them.
    For an attempted schematic overview:

So the length of the duct going straight up is 3 inches.

The previous fan says the brand name but not the model. I don’t know how this was done.

What would you recommend here?
    Or if you know a good fan for this situation, or a handyman in Dublin who can properly fix it, I’m also open for that!

Thanks for your time anyways!

• Advertisement
Advertisement