Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birthday Gift Ideas For Someone I’m Recently Dating

Options
  • 18-07-2018 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

This is not an “issue” at all, but I thought it would probably be the best place on the forum to ask for advice.

I’ve been dating a girl for a little over a month. All is going well, we’re not seeing other people and we’re enjoying how things are going.

Anyway, her birthday is coming up shortly and I’m at a bit of a loss as to what to get her. Not that I don’t know what she’s in to as I do, but more so what’s appropriate in terms of type of gift and value at this early stage.

A couple of ideas I had:

- Concert tickets: however, tickets for the gig she would like are quite expensive and also not taking place for a few months down the line. I don’t have an issue with paying the money for them, but don’t know how it would come across (e.g. flash, too much too soon etc). Also I wouldn’t expect her to be bringing me in any case but she may feel obligied to do so and who knows how things will pan out in a few months’ time?

- Surprise flowers: some female friends have told me they’d love this, some have told me they’d hate it. I don’t want to put her on the spot or an uncomfortable position with say colleagues or family if delivered to work/home so that probabiy rules this one out straight away.

I’m very much open to suggestions and ideas but we go out for meals quite often so I’d like to do something a bit different than that. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

It's early.

Book a nice restaurant and if its the weekend a comedy club or something similar.

I wouldnt go overboard on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

The worst thing you could do is go overboard.

Why not just bring her flowers next time you guys meet. And a card. women place lots more value on cards than men.

Or

Say , hey let's go to x restaurant for your birthday. My treat

go for a nicer meal than ye normally do.

or pay for it all yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Why don't you ask her if she'd like to go for a meal and if she does give her the flowers when you collect her? That's more personal than the delivery and you wouldn't be going overboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Flowers and a meal, don't go bananas...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

If there's a book you particularly like (and if she's into reading, obviously) I would highly recommend buying a nice copy of it for her. It's a thoughtful gesture, and if she's a 'reader' she'll really, really appreciate it. Especially if it's a moving book, rather than a whodunit or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

go for a nicer meal than ye normally do.

or pay for it all yourself.

You should always pay for dinner when it's the other person's birthday

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Yellow pack crisps

Christ just buy her what you want or your gut feeling says. All this too much too soon garbage or overwhelming **** is stupid. Women ain’t retarded. She likes you and will appreciate it regardless or she won’t!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I wouldn’t get the concert tickets. I have a rule now, from experience, that you never make plans further away than you’ve been dating (so a month in your case). You just don’t know how it’s gonna play out, after a month it can all end in one conversation, you’ve still so much to learn about them and you don’t wanna be looking back when the concert comes around like “Christ why did I drop a bomb on that absolute dope?!”

As a few people have said, a nice meal, flowers and card works. Keep it immediate. Anything at all is nice after a month, though, so don’t stress too much about it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

If I'd only been seeing someone a month the only thing I can think of that I wouldn't think is too OTT is flowers delivered to work or home.

I don't personally know any girl that wouldn't be chuffed with that.
    Then book somewhere special for a meal and obviously pay.

Don't forget a card, us girls love stuff like that and I guarantee she'll keep it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

BetsyEllen wrote: »
    If I'd only been seeing someone a month the only thing I can think of that I wouldn't think is too OTT is flowers delivered to work or home.

I don't personally know any girl that wouldn't be chuffed with that.
    Then book somewhere special for a meal and obviously pay.

Don't forget a card, us girls love stuff like that and I guarantee she'll keep it :)

Oh she'll definitely keep the card if she keeps the guy ;) I still have the first Xmas card I got from my now husband. We were 18 years old and together 3 months so he signed it 'best wishes'. I thought it was hilariously awkward and it still makes me smile :D

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭bertsmom

Oh she'll definitely keep the card if she keeps the guy I still have the first Xmas card I got from my now husband. We were 18 years old and together 3 months so he signed it 'best wishes'. I thought it was hilariously awkward and it still makes me smile

Awww that's so lovely, the lovely awkwardness makes me smile and I don't even know ye. I can imagine a young guy struggling with what to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

A voucher for upper lip hair removal is always popular

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

I agree with the posters saying keep it small. I'd be a bit more original than jusr flowers and a card though. Something that shows you've listened always goes down well.

For example something she loves but that you could do together. If she's into a history a trip to the museum and a nice lunch with a token gift.

If she's mentioned that she always wanted to do x,y or z think about how you could make that happen.

You could spend a grand and be less impressive than spending a tenner showing you are interested and listen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I'd keep it simple and go with what ohers have suggested - a nice meal that you say hey its your birthday Lets go for a meal - my treat. Dont go mad on the drink. I'd also suggest something wrapped up and a card - a book ;good fiction or coffeetable type book is always good - or there might be aomething specific she is into - or a fancy box of chocolates with card or tickets for 2 to that fancy cinema in Rayhmines - the Stella.

Advertisement