Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving thought to seperation

Options
  • 18-07-2018 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I'm married and the primary carer of our child. We're both clearly unhappy in our marraige, we've tried counciling before to no real avail. My fear is that when / if I mention seperation/divorce my spouses family will be all over it with top notch legal people and advise, unfortunately my resources are practically none existant and they'd know that so would be well prepared to wear me down.
    I've not yet gone for any legal advise, so could anyone tell me the highlights of a seperation.

Would seperation mean we have to sell our home?
    Any idea what sort of mantenance my child and I would be entitled too?

Just a bit out of my depth at the moment so any info would be appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Hi, It would take forever to type out all the advice we could give you. I suggest you follow this link and read the site. It is a great help.

http://www.uspi.ie/
    UNMARRIED AND SEPARATED PARENTS OF IRELAND
    A SUPPORT GROUP FOR PARENTS IN RELATIONSHIP DIFFICULTIES

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I assume you are the woman and mother.

In that case you will most likely end up with staying in the family home with your child. The home cannot be sold until the child is 18 at least.

Your ex will pay maintenance for the child, spouse maintenance and continue to pay the mortgage.

Slam dunk for you as the wife to be fair because the courts are biased towards wives and mothers to a frightening degree.

Advertisement