Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porting number to new network & restore my whatsapp on a new phone

Options
  • 18-07-2018 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Hi - apologies if I come across as a dinosaur....

Just ported my number to a new network. Got a new handset also. New phone and old phone are both samsung galaxies so I used the smart switch and everything transferred across to my new phone.

Only problem im having is with WhatsApp.... some chats have transferred across but some haven't. Of the ones that have, none of the old messages have transferred. The chats are starting off blank.

I had been backing up whatsapp daily to Google drive but I can't find how to restore it to the new phone.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

When you opened WhatsApp on the new phone for the first time, you should have seen an option to restore from the backup.

Did you use the new sim before the port was completed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

So long as the phone number is the same then WhatsApp should prompt you to restore the backup.

Did you check that the backup had completed successfully?

Did you check that the backup file you set on Google drive exists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Got it sorted thanks. I set up the new phone in a rush while busy and I think I clicked past a couple of steps. I uninstalled from the new phone and started again. It's now restored

Also on Google Drive app on your phone.

Settings > Backups
    Check that your WhatsApp backup is listed there. It should also have a timestamp.

Good stuff... ignore my post above so!

• Advertisement
Advertisement