Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart immersion control

Options
  • 18-07-2018 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭

Our immersion control is quite basic - doesn't even have a timer on it, just two switches (one for on/off, one for bath/sink).

Was thinking of installing a smart control to it that I can set a timer, control remotely etc.

Was looking at the Electric Ireland Smarter Home, but seems daft to be paying for it through a €7 subscription each month.

Can anyone recommend a device that I can use to replace my existing immersion control with something smart. I have a Google Home device, so if it integrates with this, then all the better, but is not necessary.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Ok this is covered.

Thing is that on the options few will switch between bath and sink

Someone here has a zigbee or zwave unit

Phibsboro electric have a 13amp WiFi spur

Again there's a post on it here

I have lightwaverf rf hub and immersion swicth, works fine.

I'd ignore the 16 amp SONOFF even if you fuse it at 13 amps.

The WiFi spur is the cheapest, make for UK/ire immersion that I know of about 90 once off cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

Stoner wrote: »
    Ok this is covered.

The WiFi spur is the cheapest, make for UK/ire immersion that I know of about 90 once off cost.

I thinking of this too - and don't know a whole pile about immersions myself - but 13 amp sounds very low ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,461 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Stoner wrote: »
    Ok this is covered.

I thinking of this too - and don't know a whole pile about immersions myself - but 13 amp sounds very low ?
    230*13= 3KW allowing for inrush currents then no they are not suitable

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Frank Rizzo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

ted1 wrote: »
    230*13= 3KW allowing for inrush currents then no they are not suitable

What's not suitable about them ted?

Would you expect inrush currents on an electric element like an immersion?

A 13 amp unit rated at 3KW and fussed at 13 amps is perfectly fine imo.

The units like lightwaverf (I've one installed with no issues) and the other one I recommended are UK designed units. Immersion heaters are mentioned in their documentation.
    Just use 3KW max units.
    Fusing these things correctly is very important so a fused spur unit before the item limiting the current to be at or below the devices rating is critical.

Regardless with the SONOFF unit even at 16 amps but after a 13Amp fuse I wouldn't be happy with it.

The real issues with electrical elements like this is continuous loads running at full tilt for long periods of time.

The lightwaverf unit has a built in timer with 1 min, 2 min 10, 30 up to 120 minutes max, so it turns itself off after a max of two hours, this is a handy addition as this particularly lightwaverf unit is not state aware, so you can turn it on or off but you have no feed back to say it got the message and it is on or off.

If you did use SONOFF you'd get feedback to tell you it's on or off, but still I'd recommend making a soft timer to replicate the lightwaverf functionality, so you turn on a soft timer for the immersion, not just turning on the immersion

You don't want the immersion running for president hours regardless

Advertisement