Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overlord

Options
  • 18-07-2018 3:22pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So for a while this was rumoured to be the next 'Cloverfield' film, though JJ Abrams is now denying this.

Anyway, here's a trailer, and it looks ... schlocky & trashy as hell tbh, taking inspiration from the old Castle Wolfenstein games. The CGI certainly looks from that era :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

pixelburp wrote: »
    ... taking inspiration from the old Castle Wolfenstein games. The CGI certainly looks from that era :D

I would have said COD:Zombies.

Or what was that game about Vietnam... and it turned out they were zombies too?

*googles*

Shellshock 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Just showing my age really; never followed CoD beyond Modern Warfare 4 tbh, whereas multiplayer Return to Castle Wolfenstein got a lot of playtime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

pixelburp wrote: »
    Just showing my age really; never followed CoD beyond Modern Warfare 4 tbh, whereas multiplayer Return to Castle Wolfenstein got a lot of playtime.

I never really got in to the COD craze...

I think I only ever owned the one that came out on the Wii!

But this looks to be a good (pardon the pun) no-brainer, Saturday evening popcorn movie. And I like Wyatt Russell (for that Black Mirror episode Playtest).

YT's comments are going nuts for any Cloverfield link.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

While a fan of schlock, that look's woeful. Might catch it on the telly a few years down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,323 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

reminds of the equally dreadful Frankenstein's Army

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As others elsewhere have wondered, the Abrams patented Mystery Box may exist here; that last scene and the pointed question "What's behind that wall?" is quite the tease and may yet be the Cloverfield link.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's exactly like a trailer for the movie version of the Wolfenstein games of the current generation, mad scientists, mythology and zombies.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I loved the comments on YouTube about this. A number of people are complaining that it wasn't accurate to have a black paratrooper during dday yet they seem to be ok with Nazi zombies. Having started playing fps games with the original Wolfenstein I'll give this a watch (probably not in the cinema though!).

10 bucks says this gets dumped onto Netflix anyway; cos let's be honest, who when they saw the trailer thought it kinda looked like a 'Netflix original' anyway?

*raises hand*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Was thinking more along the lines of SyFy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,367 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Set for a November 9th cinema release.
    Overlord is set on the eve of D-Day, a group of American paratroopers are dropped behind enemy lines to carry out a mission crucial to the invasion’s success. But as they approach their target, they begin to realize there is more going on in this Nazi-occupied village than a simple military operation.
    Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/985197-new-overlord-photos#SfpXeXceX6IG1fx2.99

overlord-poster.jpg?resize=768%2C1024&ssl=1

• Registered Users Posts: 60,367 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Final trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Catcher7791

It's the opening film for this year's Horrorthon festival on October 25th in the IFI.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

This looks great, Zombies, the Occult and Nazis sounds like a good time to me, ps: loved the old wolfenstein games.

It is going to be very distracting watching Fitz swanning about with an American accent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

Saw this, entertaining well made gore fest. 18 rating. Leave your brain at the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Pretty decent for what it is - fairly low budget production (relative to it being a theatrical film and the genre involved), but well crafted b-movie schlock all the same. Sort of like a bigger budget 'Frankensteins Army' from a few years back.

It's clear they spent all the money in the first and final 15 or so minutes; leaving some 70 odd minutes in between that is just stretched far too thin and fades quite badly.

Considering the scant resources, it's well made overall, and the few combat scenes are very well done with good punch to them....wish there was a little more time given to the results of experimentation in the labs, though, it feels like too much is teased and not enough is actually offered.

Overall though, it's decent b-movie fun, if this'd been a direct to video production I'd be a bit kinder but it does fall a little short for me as a theatrical release.

Worth a watch for schlock fans all the same.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

There was an interview with Abrams in The Sunday Times on the weekend about this film.

He was talking about getting criticism for having a non segregated unit and a black Sargent and how it wasn't realistic and his answer was "well there weren't Zombies there either" which did make me laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

I saw this tonight and enjoyed it a lot. Nothing deep or thought provoking just solid entertainment, leave your brain on auto pilot and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Really enjoyed this. Ultimate big screen action movie. So much better than the Predator reboot. Never lets up from the first minute. Excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Beric Dondarrion

Saw this yesterday. Pure and utter sh*te. I think I expected more (even from the schlocky feel to the trailer and premise) so maybe the blame lies with myself.

4/10 and that's being very generous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

An absolutely great movie.

I was lead to believe it was a horror movie, but it isn't remotely scary. Just a solid war movie with monsters. It has some good imagery in the laboratory though - like
    the talking head
    . I kept expecting
    Rosenfield to transform during the final fight and either go ballistic on the Nazis or or attack Tibbet. I'm always happy when a film doesn't do what I expect. :)

I like Abrams response to the criticism of the black paratrooper and sergeant - that there wasn't undead monsters under French churches either. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭p to the e

Really enjoyed this. The writing is clunky in parts and the acting a little panto-esque but it's definitely a highlight in the Nazi/monster genre. The opening 10-15 minutes is intense and LOUD!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

p to the e wrote: »
    Really enjoyed this. The writing is clunky in parts and the acting a little panto-esque but it's definitely a highlight in the Nazi/monster genre. The opening 10-15 minutes is intense and LOUD!

I disagree about the writing and acting, but 100% Amen to the opening.

I've never been impressed with my local cinema with regards the sound on films. I don't know the inner workings and whether the "surround sound" on a film can be turned off but I've always had better at home. I was told it can be simply switched off I the booth.

Overlord though was something else especially the stuff on the plane. I think this may have been the first time I've heard a movie at the cinema the way it was intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Went in with no expectations - hadn't seen trailer (kinda glad after seeing film and watching the final trailer above) and only skimmed description - and really enjoyed it. Opening is intense and some very intense moments through the film as well as a handful of lighthearted moments.

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The opening is very good indeed and you could easily argue yards above the standard of the actual film itself. There's one particular scene where the main guy is crouched down in the swampy woodland and AA guns are pounding away nearby, and the muzzle flashes light up the hazy fog in a sort of nightmareish way, aesthetically very powerful stuff.

Advertisement