Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dominion - Anyone watched it yet?

Options
  • 18-07-2018 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭

New Joaquin Phoenix documentary, hidden cameras in slaughter houses.

I watched it the other day. Was hugely eye opening for someone who started plant based purely for health reasons.

It's shocking and I don't believe anyone consuming animal products who watched it would be able to afterwards.. This goes for eggs and milk too.

I felt a huge amount of guilt after watching it. It's a very hard watch.

Comments

Fair play for having the courage to watch it.

Many people wouldn’t dream of watching it in fear it would encourage a lifestyle change.

I haven’t watched it myself yet but will watch it and I’m also looking forward to ‘the game changers’ which, I think, focuses on high performance vegan athletes.

It’s from the same director of ‘the cove’ in 2009 but hopefully it won’t be as heartbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Many people wouldn’t dream of watching it in fear it would encourage a lifestyle change.

I haven’t watched it myself yet but will watch it and I’m also looking forward to ‘the game changers’ which, I think, focuses on high performance vegan athletes.

It’s from the same director of ‘the cove’ in 2009 but hopefully it won’t be as heartbreaking.

Yeah The Game Changers should be good. Challenge the "vegans are unhealthy and weak" misconception.

I don't think anyone who is a normal feeling human being could watch dominion and keep eating animal products. This information, however difficult and unpleasant needs to become more mainstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Have watched it. A movie by some vegan interests created to further foster myths. Imo overtly sensationalist with little relevance to reality.

gozunda wrote: »
    Have watched it. A movie by some vegan interests created to further foster myths. Imo overtly sensationalist with little relevance to reality.

What myths?

Xcellor wrote: »
    What myths?

The biggest myth is the supposed concern for the animals being farmed. The use of footage showing examples of poor animal welfare for the purpose of promoting veganism whilst ironically not supporting direct animal welfare improvements. Something I find hypocritical and dishonest at best.

Another myth that I found the movie pushed was that all use is abuse. I disagree strongly with that idea. It will be a very strange world the day when hunans no longer have direct interactions with other animals. Like all endevours there is the good the bad and the indifferent and always room for improvement. I prefer to follow good practise rather than being preached at from on high.

These were some of my thoughts on that film - I'm sure you have your own.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thanks for reminding me about this film, I'll check it out. The Game Changers will be good too. I've met Patrik Baboumian a few times and he is a beastly strong man. He gives good talks.

A bodybuilder or strongman is not representative of anybody but people in their sport, which is completely fine. A major concern with athletes going vegan was performance declination whether using steroids or not, it's about how on a level playing field it is not the case that they are at a disadvantage. The film itself is about more than just high level athletes.

I would agree with that. I think it was mentioned above regarding the 'high performance athletes' in relation to the film. From what I've read - I understand that steroid abuse happens right across the spectrum and in all types of sports. Trouble is in such films - there is no way of knowing who is abusing such substances and who isn't...

gozunda wrote: »
    The biggest myth is the supposed concern for the animals being farmed. The use of footage showing examples of poor animal welfare for the purpose of promoting veganism whilst ironically not supporting direct animal welfare improvements. Something I find hypocritical and dishonest at best.

Another myth that I found the movie pushed was that all use is abuse. I disagree strongly with that idea. It will be a very strange world the day when hunans no longer have direct interactions with other animals. Like all endevours there is the good the bad and the indifferent and always room for improvement. I prefer to follow good practise rather than being preached at from on high.

These were some of my thoughts on that film - I'm sure you have your own.

Vegans don't want animals farmed, so only abolition of this practice is compatible with that. No animals benefit from being farmed. Sure you can tinker around the edges but the end game is slaughter for meat or slaughter due to illness related to the farming.

What aspects of the documentary do you think are not abusive? Or are you referring to things outside of it that are done that are more passive?

In 2016 Australia was the third fastest growing market for people adopting the vegan lifestyle.

By early 2018 more than two million Aussies had gone meat free. Pretty impressive from a nation of 24 million.

This movie could have an even more positive impact and see an even larger number of people, especially the youth, adopt a vegan lifestyle.

I’ll look forward to the numbers for 2019 and 2020.

Xcellor wrote: »
    Vegans don't want animals farmed, so only abolition of this practice is compatible with that. No animals benefit from being farmed. Sure you can tinker around the edges but the end game is slaughter for meat or slaughter due to illness related to the farming.

What aspects of the documentary do you think are not abusive? Or are you referring to things outside of it that are done that are more passive?

well ok 'vegans dont want animals farmed' - it remains it is still hypocritical to use alleged poor welfare standards to promote veganism and then do nothing to improve the conditions of those animals involved in the filming of such videos. No animals benefited from the making of that film imo.

It's the idea the all use equates to abuse which I strongly disagree with. This is one of the main issues pushed in that movie imo. It's also pushing the idea that cherrypicked footage is somehow representative of all farming which it is not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Deleted a lot of off topic stuff, keep it somewhat about the film and things surrounding it, Australia, similar films and so on. The 2 million figure above included people that were nearly meat free. Do not tell others you are not interested in their posts, ignore it then. Long meandering posts taking things off topic are not welcome, at the same time. If these continue to occur I will take more drastic action.

In 2016 Australia was the third fastest growing market for people adopting the vegan lifestyle.
    By early 2018 more than two million Aussies had gone meat free. Pretty impressive from a nation of 24 million. This movie could have an even more positive impact and see an even larger number of people, especially the youth, adopt a vegan lifestyle. I’ll look forward to the numbers for 2019 and 2020.

Ok to keep this short - unfortunately the whole 'meat free' thing is completely inaccurate. The Roy Morgan website clearly shows that the survey asked respondents
    "The food I eat is all, or almost all, vegetarian’, Nothing about 'meat free' or vegan whatsoever. Unfortunately what you read was a tabloid headline which misrepresented the findings. Btw you can check this up online.

So imo there is no obvious link with the movie and the survey data tbh. The Ray Morgan data on those stating they choose an all or mostly plant-based diet, indicated that the majority were swayed by plant based foods “low fat” status -with vegetarianism the preferred option for many. With regards to the movie release note that the movie appears to have had fairly small viewing figures?

Any other quality movies to suggest that are similar to OP ?

I’d suggest ‘black fish’

The challenge being to watch it and not change your lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Any other quality movies to suggest that are similar to OP ?

I’d suggest ‘black fish’

The challenge being to watch it and not change your lifestyle.

Have you seen ojka on Netflix? Worth a watch.

The land of hope & glory on YouTube

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Have you seen ojka on Netflix? Worth a watch.

The land of hope & glory on YouTube

I watched Okja but didn’t really rate it. Think it went over my head because I know a lot of people loved it. Must recommend it to my nieces as I think they’d love it.

Haven’t heard of the land of hope and glory so I’ll watch that this week.

Peaceable Kingdom was another good movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭Worztron

I've seen Earthlings, Glass Walls, Meet Your Meat, etc. and cannot bring myself to watch anymore graphic content like that. It breaks my heart. Those poor animals.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭Worztron

I watched Okja but didn’t really rate it. Think it went over my head because I know a lot of people loved it. Must recommend it to my nieces as I think they’d love it.

Hi klopparama.

Yes, Okja was ok but overrated in my opinion -- 7/10.

I found Peaceable Kingdom to be very powerful - the parts where the ex-farmers talk about the animals they raised and sent off to their deaths.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

The land of hope & glory is the British ‘Earthlings’

Advertisement