Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedge Curiosity

Options
  • 18-07-2018 9:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

I was in American Golf over the weekend having a look around and I couldn't get over the prices of lofted wedges these days. Up to €200+ for some of the Cleveland/Titleist gear. Don't really use the lofted wedges myself but was having a look at some of them and I always just assumed that the wedge set was 58 degrees and up but the majority of the stuff was 52d, 54d and 56d. My question is, why are golfers playing huge sums of money of clubs like these with lofts that are already covered with their existing SW and PW or maybe there is something I am missing... :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

My pitching wedge is 45 degrees and my sand wedge is 58 degrees so you need at least one if not 2 gap wedges between these. But I'd never pay 200 for any wedge.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭sydneygolfdude

fair point, I suppose I am just used to adjusting my swing with PW or my SW to to suit to cover the ranges in between but that's me. My SW and PW are 44 and 54. I just found the money crazy for those clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭kopkidda

Ebay is your only man if looking for a decent price wedge, some cracking deals around.

kopkidda wrote: »
    Ebay is your only man if looking for a decent price wedge, some cracking deals around.

not actually looking for a wedge as there are additional clubs I don't find necessary for my game. But i just could not get over the amount of wedges in the 52, 54 and 56 degree range and to me those are just a few degrees either side of most regular SW. I don't think the average mid to high handicapper has the swing consistency to change up or down on a club for the sake or 1/2 degrees. I used to think wedges were for everything above the traditional SW loft, 58 and up...

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭kopkidda

not actually looking for a wedge as there are additional clubs I don't find necessary for my game. But i just could not get over the amount of wedges in the 52, 54 and 56 degree range and to me those are just a few degrees either side of most regular SW. I don't think the average mid to high handicapper has the swing consistency to change up or down on a club for the sake or 1/2 degrees. I used to think wedges were for everything above the traditional SW loft, 58 and up...

Ye agree about mid/high handicappers, but I have 4 wedges in my bag if you include pw, there are rounds that all I am hitting is driver, wedge for a lot of par 4's, obviously a market out there for all these wedges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

just a few degrees either side of most regular SW

Most sets don't come with what used to be the "regular" SW anymore.
    There's more customisation on the soles of specialty wedges to suit individuals. Many drop the PW from their set too and go from 46->60 degrees. Agree it's pricey and I also think wedges wear quicker than your regular set due to how they're used (and also how often they're used).

edit: There's a few brands of wedges that are good bang for buck. An early wedge set I used were called tigershark, and I got three wedges for €70. They were 25 each and I haggled the last 5'er off :)

kopkidda wrote: »
    Ye agree about mid/high handicappers, but I have 4 wedges in my bag if you include pw, there are rounds that all I am hitting is driver, wedge for a lot of par 4's, obviously a market out there for all these wedges.

ha, there certainly is. if i was to buy one, id be looking at 60d to substitute for my half hit SW when I am in that range but I just don't feel id hit a better shot with it than what I do already. Anyway I was not here to tell people what to do as I am definitely no expert but it was more an observation...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

fair point, I suppose I am just used to adjusting my swing with PW or my SW to to suit to cover the ranges in between but that's me. My SW and PW are 44 and 54. I just found the money crazy for those clubs.

Like you my club set came with 46 and 54 wedges. I just filled the gap and bought a Cleveland 50 deg with slightly lesser bounce than the other two. I think it cost about €70.
    Depending on the lie and shot opening or closing the face gives me plenty of options also with the three wedges.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

haven't met a golfer yet who has gaps of 1 or 2 degrees in their wedges, usually 4, sometimes 6.

I play a 46 PW then have wedges at 52,56,60 but they didn't cost anywhere close to €200. The all have their use, 56 probably most used.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭kod12

just got a new set of Ping G400 and the PW is 44.5 and the SW is 54 what gap wedges would you recommend I would need?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

kod12 wrote: »
    just got a new set of Ping G400 and the PW is 44.5 and the SW is 54 what gap wedges would you recommend I would need?

Your PW is very strong, it's essentially a 9. You need a 48 or a 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭plumber77

In the ping g400s there is also a UW of 49.5 and a LW of 58. You might be able to buy them as single irons if looking to match the set

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I have 4 wedges in my bag, 3 came with my irons (SW, PW & LW) and I have a 50 degree wedge from my old set. Thats the only one i ever bought as a separate club and was about €50 secondhand!!

Only time the 60 is used is from a greenside bunker or if i have to chip over a bunker to the green but I'd use the rest fairly regularly.

Opposite end of the bag, I rarely use my 4 or 5 iron.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

plumber77 wrote: »
    In the ping g400s there is also a UW of 49.5 and a LW of 58. You might be able to buy them as single irons if looking to match the set
    Yeah. Always best to try and match them. I had real trouble with Callaway wedges with my TM irons and eventually filled out my TM set.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Dbu

I find golfbidder great for picking up 2nd hand wedges. They are always in great nick and I can move them on in dondeal when I 'fall' out of love with them
    Then again, Im always chopping and changing wedges..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Most sets don't come with a sw bar real game improver sets.
    And most of those are too bulky to be effective from the sand.
    If there is a option to add a gw in the same head and shaft as your set it's a great addition.
    Then I think it depends if u like playing half shots if not most will go 54 and 58 to fill the gaps.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I have a PW and 56 degree Vokey, that's it...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

My wedge curiosity: why is there so much talk about the importance of "game improvement" irons but when it comes to individual wedges, they're essentially all blades.

You'll see lads with a set of GI irons and 2/3 Vokeys in the bag too. Shouldn't the wedges also be "game improvement"?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭Russman

PARlance wrote: »
    My wedge curiosity: why is there so much talk about the importance of "game improvement" irons but when it comes to individual wedges, they're essentially all blades.

You'll see lads with a set of GI irons and 2/3 Vokeys in the bag too. Shouldn't the wedges also be "game improvement"?

I think (or maybe suspect) that the reason is that most shots with wedges are less than full, so with the shorter shaft, shorter swing etc., guys can more easily find the sweetspot, so bladed wedges can work for most.
    Plus for the more finesse shots, a wide soled, high bounce cavity back isn't the easiest tool to manipulate, even in skilled hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭kod12

Dbu wrote: »
    I find golfbidder great for picking up 2nd hand wedges. They are always in great nick and I can move them on in dondeal when I 'fall' out of love with them
    Then again, Im always chopping and changing wedges..
    Was just going to ask how do you find golfbidder? some great deals there but wondered how much is the cost to ireland and how long does it take?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

My set didn't come with a SW so for a long time was carrying a PW, 52, 56 and 64. I've dropped the 56 and 64 recently and replaced them with a 60.

So PW, 52 and 60 now and I find I use them 3 more than the rest of my irons. On a couple of my local courses, I'd only end up using my 3-9 irons on the par 3's and a wedge on almost every hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭plumber77

Was just going to ask how do you find golfbidder? some great deals there but wondered how much is the cost to ireland and how long does it take?

Bought a wedge couple of weeks back. Great condition and cost 10 sterling p&p. Still great value. Delivery took 4/5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

PARlance wrote: »

That's something that bothered me a bit. I have a 45 degree set PW with 110g shafts. I didn't like going to player style wedges with heavy shafts. I bought a couple of CBX wedges recently. Great wedges too, bigger heads, cavity back and lighter shafts. Think they are 115g. Very happy with them.

I'm now 45, 52 and 58 in my wedges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Anyone know when wedges are worn? I can hit my 60 vokey low and check but my 54 looks worn and not feeling it stops unless I hit it very hard.

Anyone know when wedges are worn? I can hit my 60 vokey low and check but my 54 looks worn and not feeling it stops unless I hit it very hard.

Ye can buy a re-grooving tool on ebay!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

I’ve never heard of any wedge costing 200 - 150 tops for titleist??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Ye can buy a re-grooving tool on ebay!

Are they not illegal?

Are they not illegal?

Yes.
    But they're still on sale!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

you dont buy all the wedges, you buy the ones that complement your main set.

You want 4 degrees between each club, on average.
    Thats about 10 yards for most people.
    So depending on the loft on your stock PW, which could be anywhere from 42 up to 50, you use the standalone wedges to fill out your gaps since your SW (if you got one in your set) is likely around 56.

In your own case you have 10 degrees between two clubs....thats WAY too much as its nearly 3 clubs in the different.

You wouldnt choose to leave your 6, 7 & 8 irons at home and just adjust your 5 iron so why would you do it with the scoring clubs?

/edit
    You can blame the manufactures who, in a search for fake distance, keep lowering the lofts on all your clubs so that the thing with a 7 stamped on the bottom now goes the same distance as the thing that had a 6 on it last year.
    This pushed all the lofts down so a 3 or even 4 iron becomes too hard to hit for most golfers (shaft is too long for the little loft on it and they dont have the swingspeed)
    This means you need to go buy some rescues to replace long irons.
    At the other end your wedge is now equivalent to an old 8 or 9 iront, but your SW is still the same as it still needs to get you out of bunkers.
    Now you need a gap wedge to fill this gap.
    Anything about 56 is into Lob territory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Yes.
    But they're still on sale!

They are not illegal.
    However they *may* leave your grooves in a non-conforming way.
    But you could do they exact same with a screwdriver or knife and it would be just as "illegal".
    Re-Grooving your clubs is perfectly legal, as long as they still conform to the rules.

Advertisement