Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Don’t know what science course to go for

Options
  • 18-07-2018 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi everyone. Next year I’m going to be submitting my CAO and I’m still extremely torn on what course I should pick.
    I’m definitely doing a Science course in Trinity college, I have my heart set on trinity and have for quite some time so it’s doubtful that will change unless someone makes a valid enough argument hahahaha
    So in the future I hope to either work in drug development or research, in diseases and viruses or as a biochemist. Im still not really sure
    I don’t know whether to go into the Chemical Sciences branch and do Medicinal Chemistry, the Biological and Biomedical Sciences And then choose either Biochemistry or Immunology, or just go straight for the Pharmacy degree. I’ve read extensively about each course and still just can’t decide what to go for. There may be another course that fits what I need that I haven’t seen yet so if anyone knows of one please let me know
    I’m confident in the points necessary to get those courses at the moment, so that shouldn’t be a concern (fingers crossed)
    If anyone can give me advice on what to go for I’d really appreciate it thanks so much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

Jgb02 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. Next year I’m going to be submitting my CAO and I’m still extremely torn on what course I should pick.
    I’m definitely doing a Science course in Trinity college, I have my heart set on trinity and have for quite some time so it’s doubtful that will change unless someone makes a valid enough argument hahahaha
    So in the future I hope to either work in drug development or research, in diseases and viruses or as a biochemist. Im still not really sure
    I don’t know whether to go into the Chemical Sciences branch and do Medicinal Chemistry, the Biological and Biomedical Sciences And then choose either Biochemistry or Immunology, or just go straight for the Pharmacy degree. I’ve read extensively about each course and still just can’t decide what to go for. There may be another course that fits what I need that I haven’t seen yet so if anyone knows of one please let me know
    I’m confident in the points necessary to get those courses at the moment, so that shouldn’t be a concern (fingers crossed)
    If anyone can give me advice on what to go for I’d really appreciate it thanks so much

My advice would be to study pharmacy. It's Chemistry heavy to the point you would be miles behind a chemistry graduate at the end. If at the end of your degree you decide lab work isn't for you what do you do with any of the other degrees? At least pharmacy has a well defined career path with pharmacists being involved in every step a drug takes between development and handing it off to a patient. So plenty of well paid jobs should you need to take them. An important aspect to consider is if you decide you do love research and decided to do an advanced degree you'll have a pharmacy degree to help you through it. You'd still be entitled to work as a pharmacist, locuming around for tidy money.

I did a science degree in Trinity, and am finishing my research PhD there now. I'm not sure why the poster above thinks there's no other careers other than research after a science degree but that is definitely not the case. In fact, most people I know who did science in college did not end up in research, but are in other science based roles, or have gone on to do stuff outside science like business or accounting.

My advice would be to choose the course you think you'll enjoy the content of the most. It won't make a difference to you career wise because you can get into pretty much any scientific career from any broadly-related degree, so even if you end up in something like immunology and want to go into drug design or viceversa it's always possible to change discipline.

A lot of people only figure out what they want to do with their career during college, or even after, so you're better off just studying something you enjoy and let yourself explore the different options available to you. You might find you actually don't like certain subjects at a college level, or discover something new that you enjoy. Pharmacy is fine too if you think you'd like to be a pharmacist but if you're not 100% sure where you'd like do a broader degree might be better to explore your interests.

Advertisement