Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does this cold start sound ok?

Options
  • 17-07-2018 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭

I've had two people say this doesn't sound good. 1.0 Petrol 3 cylinder Golf. Just wondering if this is ok. Sounds a bit rattly for a minute or two until it idles down. When it's revved while rattly it stops above a certain RPM and returns when going down.

It doesn't sound like this once warmed up although at the end of my commute the other day it had a similar sound at about 1,500rpm when on cruise control and accelerating a little to maintain speed on an uneven road.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Tuco88

It's like its down a cylinder. You should take it to a garage to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

I know you were just after starting it from presumably cold but it spent a fair while sitting at 1500 revs I have never seen that on a newer car last two cars I have had were/are 1.4tsi and when cold might go to 1100 revs for minute before settling down never 1500 though. I haven’t ever driven a 1.0tsi 3 cylinder so not sure what it should sound like when cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I know the 3 cylinder idles a little higher that the 4 cylinder but I'm not sure if the noise of it is an issue or not :(

OSI wrote: »
    What's the oil levels like? Could just be low enough that it takes a few seconds to get into all the little spaces.

I checked it last night and it's at the top of the level. It doesn't seem to have moved in the 10,000km I've had it so far. I was under the impression I would have had to top it up a little bit when it was new?

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

It's hard to judge listening on the phone, but it sounds like a noisy cam chain to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Those 1.0tsi engines are very quiet, almost impressively quiet for a 3 cylinder.

That definitely sounds out of character for one of them but I'm conscious that mobile phone recordings often aren't a good representation of reality when it comes to sound.

To me that sounds more like a dash rattle or a component loose like engine cover/ heat shield etc as opposed to an issue with the engine itself, no harm to get it looked into.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I know it can be hard to tell from a phone. I'd say it's actually a little bit louder in person! I'll have a look under the bonnet to see if anything is loose/rattling. Then I'll give VW a call and see whenever it can be dropped down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Do you have the bonnet and door/window open in the video?

I had another look today and I don't see anything specifically rattling, heat shield seems ok not loose or anything. The rattle sound does seem to be coming from the engine, more specifically the engine and the belt thingy on the left. The right side of the engine bay is quieter.

I have it booked in for next week anyway and they'll have a look so hopefully whatever it is can be resolved :)
    fletch wrote: »
    Do you have the bonnet and door/window open in the video?

Yeah the bonnet and window were both open, the volume on the video is quite low. It's very noticeable in person.

Picked the car up earlier. They say it was the heat shield over the exhaust downpipe. The rattle still persists. A loose heat shield wouldn't cause the revs to spike and drop suddenly at idle as if it was about to cut out. The rattle seems to be a bit worse recently and it seems to take a bit longer to idle down now.

The rattle can be heard at low revs when cruising and increasing power to maintain speed on a slight incline.

Bit of a pain as I have to book it in again, drop it off, no car for the day etc...

• Advertisement

Had it back in today and they showed me another Golf with the same mileage making the same noise. Suggested it's to with to do with the oil being pumped to all the necessary places but I don't understand why this is only happening recently and why it's taking longer to idle down.

Having passengers pointing out something doesn't sound good isn't too reassuring either.

They're going to send off a report to VW to see if there's a solution. It's frustrating hearing this sound every single time I start the car then hearing it anytime I'm cruising at low revs which is the majority of my commute.

Searching across the Skoda and Golf forums and this isn't a sound issue people seem to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Had it back in today and they showed me another Golf with the same mileage making the same noise. Suggested it's to with to do with the oil being pumped to all the necessary places but I don't understand why this is only happening recently and why it's taking longer to idle down.

Having passengers pointing out something doesn't sound good isn't too reassuring either.

They're going to send off a report to VW to see if there's a solution. It's frustrating hearing this sound every single time I start the car then hearing it anytime I'm cruising at low revs which is the majority of my commute.

Searching across the Skoda and Golf forums and this isn't a sound issue people seem to have.
    Test drive a new one somewhere else. If it's not making this noise, leave it back informing them in writing that it didn't make this noise when new and that this is now their second attempt at a fix.

mickdw wrote: »
    Test drive a new one somewhere else. If it's not making this noise, leave it back informing them in writing that it didn't make this noise when new and that this is now their second attempt at a fix.

They're aware it didn't make that sound when new so I'm not sure if it's worth test driving another one? I don't know how common of a problem it is but if they have a 181 with 11k on their lot making the same noise then I don't think that helps their "it's a new engine, we haven't heard this problem before" excuse.

I'm not trying to go in kicking and screaming demanding a new car or a refund, I'd just like some sort of resolution. They say it might be the sound it makes while oil is being pumped around the engine but surely that wouldn't explain why it still rattles when increasing power at low revs when driving with a warm engine.

I'm just afraid they'll turn around and say that because the engine isn't going to fail it's fine as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

They're aware it didn't make that sound when new so I'm not sure if it's worth test driving another one? I don't know how common of a problem it is but if they have a 181 with 11k on their lot making the same noise then I don't think that helps their "it's a new engine, we haven't heard this problem before" excuse.

I'm not trying to go in kicking and screaming demanding a new car or a refund, I'd just like some sort of resolution. They say it might be the sound it makes while oil is being pumped around the engine but surely that wouldn't explain why it still rattles when increasing power at low revs when driving with a warm engine.

I'm just afraid they'll turn around and say that because the engine isn't going to fail it's fine as is.

Well if they are in agreement that it didn't do this when new, just drop it in again recording in writing that their first attempt did not fix the problem.
    You say you are not looking for replacement or refund. That's far enough but if they cannot resolve it and if everyone is in agreement that this is something that has developed and is not present in a new one, replacement may be something good you need to persue later so have everything in writing.
    By the sounds of it, they are playing the ' it's a characteristic' card. That being the case, you need as many examples as possible of that engine in other cars not making such sounds.
    I think a 3 cylinder is going to be a piece of crap anyway in terms of any kind of refinement but if it's making random noises, you need to get to the bottom of it.

Just to update, I gave Franke Keane a call and got no answer. It's been two weeks since they were supposed to call me back. Called Joe Duffy to see if they could help and stopped by. Got chatting to a service associate and once I showed the video they immediately changed to a "we need to get this fixed" attitude and offered a free car there and then to get it in. Didn't have any automatics so offered me a lift home. Overall the attitude was helpful and positive.

I don't know if it was a quiet day or what and time will tell if it actually gets fixed but at least the customer service is much better. Not being told it's a €120 diagnostic fee after not being repaired the first time is a nice start.

In the meantime, it's back to the Mokka...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

That sounds like tappets to me. They are probably hydraulic tappets and rely on the oil pressure to operate correctly ......I wonder what the oil pressure is like

Edit,

After a quick google, that engine has an electronic oil pump and it will vary the oil pressure based on temperature, revs, load, etc... This is where I'd focus my efforts first as one of the first symptoms of low oil pressure is the hydraulic tappets are noisy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭noelf

I had my 1.0 Golf in Joe Duffy Navan today for a check up on a fluid leak that I thought it had all OK .. I asked the service manager about DaveyDave engine issues and played the video in Davey's opening post .. he said they have checked several cars and it seems to be a characteristic of the engine ..

Picked the car back up again, same result. They couldn't replicate the severity of the videos posted and when they did get a noise it wasn't bad enough to warrant doing anything about it.

So it seems I'm stuck with a dodgy sounding engine for another 2 years...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

That noise is normal in those engines and it is the sound of the injectors working. Direct injection petrol injectors are pretty loud due to the high pressures involved. That also explains why the noise goes away on the over-run, it's because the injectors are shut off while the revs are dropping.

That noise is normal in those engines and it is the sound of the injectors working. Direct injection petrol injectors are pretty loud due to the high pressures involved. That also explains why the noise goes away on the over-run, it's because the injectors are shut off while the revs are dropping.

Thanks, that's the only explanation I've gotten so far. What would cause it to sound like this after about 9,000km though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Mine is quite noisy when cold, sounds like a diesel. When warmed up to temperature it’s not too bad

https://youtu.be/J8eONnOLDHk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Thanks, that's the only explanation I've gotten so far. What would cause it to sound like this after about 9,000km though?

Any I’ve seen have sounded like that. None have been brand new though. So maybe they are quieter when brand new. Either way I think it’s normal.

Slight update on this boring topic. VW have said they've seen this issue in Ibiza's with the same engine, it's related to the turbo.

Car is booked in for the end of the month to assess whether they need to replace components of the turbo or the turbo itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭noelf

As a owner of one myself Davey I am watching this thread with interest .. NOT boring at all .. although I thought it had reached a conclusion!!!

noelf wrote: »
    As a owner of one myself Davey I am watching this thread with interest .. NOT boring at all .. although I thought it had reached a conclusion!!!

Same to be honest. After Joe Duffy said there was nothing to be done I thought that was that. I understand where they're coming from in the sense that other than it being noisy there was nothing majorly obvious to them but I felt there was something that just wasn't right.

They might not end up changing anything, but we'll see what happens. Interesting to hear it might be the turbo of all things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

I would imagine they will simply check it out and say it’s normal I don’t think you will be getting a new turbo out of it or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

I've had two people say this doesn't sound good. 1.0 Petrol 3 cylinder Golf. Just wondering if this is ok. Sounds a bit rattly for a minute or two until it idles down. When it's revved while rattly it stops above a certain RPM and returns when going down.

It doesn't sound like this once warmed up although at the end of my commute the other day it had a similar sound at about 1,500rpm when on cruise control and accelerating a little to maintain speed on an uneven road.

Might be off here, but I had similar,,heat shield rattle

So the car is back after being on Volkswagen for the week. The turbo has been replaced. Not sure if it has changed any of the sounds I've been hearing, but I can hear the turbo go whoosh when I put the foot down which I enjoy. Will post back once I've done some more driving :)

Advertisement