Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Artists to sell work online

Options
  • 17-07-2018 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi. I am thinking of setting up a business selling original artwork and giclee prints by local and international artists for children's rooms and nurseries.
    I was writing this post to find out what was out there and if people had work that fits, our be interested in creating work for children.
    I would be interested in work in any medium and I created some Pinterest boards with the type of thing I am trying to find.
    https://www.pinterest.com/prettygoodkid
    I have nothing to promote in the link or anything to do with the artists I pinned. I don't want to annoy anyone by posting a link but seemed the best way to describe what I am thinking of doing.

Thanks for any feed back.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Etsy, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭patrickspicture

Thank you. I will dig deeper into Etsy.
    I am hoping to get in touch with some of the artists I have book marked and arts council once I have a website built.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Try Creative Ireland, too, and Adverts. Or you could put up a notice (with a photo of your work) on the noticeboard of your local supermarket.

thank you new home for trying to help but I unfortunately wrote the original post badly and am sorry.
    I read through it and it made sense to me because I know the background, but could easily be read as if I wanted to sell my own work.

I am interested in selling others art as a gallery, not own. I was posting the message so I might see what kind of work Irish artists were doing and if any of it would work with the idea i have
    I will see if I can fix the original post to try and make it clear
    Sorry again 😟

Oh, ok, sorry - I definitely got the wrong end of the stick. :)

Try https://www.illustratorsireland.com/

The website for Creative Ireland would have ads of people trying to promote/sell their stuff, there's a glut of links to other websites in there. :)

Also, see if the shops of arts and crafts supplies have any notices up.

Again, the supermarket noticeboard might be an idea because I've seen people advertising there in the past. Also, Facebook (although I wouldn't know what pages, sorry - you may have to search). The only other thing that springs to mind is going to various fairs and markets during the summer (like the Rose Festival in St Anne's Park in Dublin, or the market in Galway), often artists/crafters have temporary stalls for selling their stuff.

Would this be any nearer to what you were looking for?

• Advertisement

Thank you. That is helpful. I suppose you read it right and I wrote it wrong.

No, you didn't - I did think you were trying to set up your own shop to sell your own work. :) But luck would have it that those sites would still be applicable. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

It’s a good idea in theory but are you just going to be online, or are you setting up an actual gallery, or going to actual sales/children’s events etc? As an artist myself if I was to sell through someone like you I’d need to know where you are selling, you need a big budget for advertising as it’s very expensive and you need to be seen a lot before folk will buy, and trying to get really good artists rather than a few ameteurs will be hard without some kind of business plan/ something they can see etc, do you have experience selling art?
    What will your commission rate be and why would an artist choose to sell through you instead of through their own website? - just asking these sorts of questions as any professional artist is going to ask you these questions. Other than some random pics you like on Pinterest what steps have you taken to set up a business? I would set something up first before contacting artists, I get alsorts or random enquiries through my email and I never reply as I’ve never heard of them or can’t find them on the net - sorry to be so blunt but it is a very competitive industry!

Who is your target market - originals are expensive and people will maybe not think about spending a lot on art for a child’s bedroom, just a thought. Also if selling prints are you licensing the designs and printing them yourself or are you buying prints off artists and selling those?

hi, thank you for the feedback.

I will try and answer your questions cause the are all valid points.
    first i should probably put down my background. I am not familiar with selling art beside what I picked up from school and research on the internet.
    I have a bfa focused primarily on oil paint and photography and was going for my mfa but decided to come to Ireland instead and get a msc in digital media. before I came here I taught a class on portfolio preparation and also worked in digital media for years.

the plan is to primarily sell digital prints online. they are affordable "sub 100" and the market i am looking for are new parents and people looking for gifts for babies, the people who would shop in places like next or bt not art collectors. i am also trying to stay away from the word gallery. Gallery give a certain impression that may put off some people.

in Ireland i would get stalls at markets and baby shows, but most of my sales i would expect be outside of Ireland due to population.

the original artwork is just something if an artist wanted to sell the original with me. you might get someone who would want to buy the original piece and it can be listed on the off chance.
    lots of people wouldn't spend a load on original art for a child's room, but none of the prints i bought are in my daughters room. I think they are great and we have them around the house so people may buy original pieces for themselves.
    i don't know a better way to describe the art cause lots fit in children's books, but it can work well anywhere in the house.
    Why would someone one to sell with me instead of on there own site? one reason is cross sales, and more exposure. users may find the site through different artists and then decide on one of your works which you wouldn't get on your own. also not everyone wants to deal with the hassle of the business end of things, taking orders, preparing shipments.

For the prints i would plan on both buying prints from the artist if they produced them" and are up to spec" and produce them myself to museum quality and then get them signed if the artist are in ireland. currently the plan is to start producing up to a3 and if goes well invest in a2 printer. i have been doing digital art prints on and off for nearly 20 years so i am familiar with the process. if the artists were outside of Ireland i would have to buy the prints from them or sell unsigned which would lower the perceived value.

the point of this post was not really to put all this info down just a fishing expedition to see what type of work was out there but i am glad you asked it.

if you have any more questions i am happy to get back to you

Advertisement