Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to Cork by road?

Options
  • 17-07-2018 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

If you had to drive from the South city to south Cork (Kinsale, etc.) leaving on a Friday around 11am/noon, what route would you take? Google is advising the M7/M8 route as it's about 30mins faster than the M11 route, but I've never travelled either before, so I don't know.

Which is "easier" driving and "nicer" roads— more motorway, less turns, fewer trucks you get stuck behind for hours, etc.? Not too pushed about scenery, and will probably make a pit-stop in Waterford or Cashel. Mostly concerned about the driving experience and making it as easy as possible.

Any advice or thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

Definitely M7 and M8. No comparison between that route and the M11/N11/N30/N25 etc. And Cashel is a good spot for a break en route but try to be on the Kinsale Road before 4pm, especially on a Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

M7/8 for definite at that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

M8 is the only real option, there's a McDonalds as you pass Cashel which may be easier to park at than in the Town itself. Signed from the motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 25,378 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The only alternative to the M8 would be the M9 to Waterford and then the N25 to Cork via Dungarvan and Youghal but for Cork city and west Cork, you have to go the M8.

M11 would be a completely barmy way to go - the bridges in New Ross and Enniscorthy are serious bottlenecks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

I'd definitely leave ahead of the posse southbound on a Friday morning. If you're stopping of I'd stop off far sooner than Cashel as I find the the motorway from Newbridge down to Cashel very monotonous once traffic thins out.
    Wouldn't stop too long the either as you don't want to meet the midday southbound traffic from Dublin at the Jack Lynch Tunnel.

Wouldn't dream of the Waterford route, although have done Kilkenny/Carlow just to break monotony, but that's just silly too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Done it before last year and again tomorrow morning, but heading out to west cork. Will be driving m7/m8 towards cork city.

Break in cashel for the kid. And somewhere else just after cork city. Possibly Douglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Will take the M7/8 route then. Thanks, all!

I'd definitely leave ahead of the posse southbound on a Friday morning.

How early is your early? Don't want to have to deal with the M50 traffic before I leave!

Wouldn't stop too long the either as you don't want to meet the midday southbound traffic from Dublin at the Jack Lynch Tunnel.

Would you not have to leave at 7am or something to avoid that?

DivingDuck wrote: »
    Will take the M7/8 route then. Thanks, all!

How early is your early? Don't want to have to deal with the M50 traffic before I leave!

Would you not have to leave at 7am or something to avoid that?

11 is plenty, that'll give you a half hour pit stop and still be through the tunnel well before southbound traffic into JL tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,378 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

11 is plenty, that'll give you a half hour pit stop and still be through the tunnel well before southbound traffic into JL tunnel.

What's this 'midday southbound traffic from Dublin' that the OP might meet at the JLT?

OP is travelling from Dublin, you're suggesting that there is a spike in traffic which departs Dublin at midday but which he will only encounter at the JLT :confused:

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    What's this 'midday southbound traffic from Dublin' that the OP might meet at the JLT?

OP is travelling from Dublin, you're suggesting that there is a spike in traffic which departs Dublin at midday but which he will only encounter at the JLT :confused:

I wouldn't say spike in Dublin but the JLT can get very busy southbound Friday late afternoon, mostly D reg travelling south to Cork or Kerry . That's my experience so if you have any different feel free to share.

Advertisement