Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Septic Tank - Smells and Vents

Options
  • 17-07-2018 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi All,

We have noticed at the back of the house we sometimes get a strong smell. We have had all the pipes cleaned traps are ok etc. However a plumber did say to us that he was surprised that there were no vents actually on the septic tank. There are two pipes at the back of the house alright that go up above the roof.

My questions are should there really be a vent of some kind on the tank and is it possible the gas is coming back from the tank?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

We are in the process of buying a house and our structural engineer noted there was no vent on our septic tank and recommended that we get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭DevilTheBit

Hey there, looking for some answers, I built a new house 18 months ago and we have all waste water (toilets, sinks, showers and washing machine) going into the sceptic tank. A scum has never formed on top, as a result there is a smell around the sceptic tank and coming up the drains and around the house. I thought the sceptic tank might settle after a while but no such luck, any ideas why no top layer of scum is forming, is their too much water going into the tank?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Hey there, looking for some answers, I built a new house 18 months ago and we have all waste water (toilets, sinks, showers and washing machine) going into the sceptic tank. A scum has never formed on top, as a result there is a smell around the sceptic tank and coming up the drains and around the house. I thought the sceptic tank might settle after a while but no such luck, any ideas why no top layer of scum is forming, is their too much water going into the tank?

Thanks.

your probably killing the bacteria with domestos and similar cemicals

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭DevilTheBit

Cheers for the quick reply, we thought this and went 3 months without using any toilet cleaner, apart from washing up liquid and washing powder and shampoo, that was it and no effect. We also went off on hols for 3 weeks and when we came back the smell was as bad. Maybe we should look into this again, cut back for a longer period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Cheers for the quick reply, we thought this and went 3 months without using any toilet cleaner, apart from washing up liquid and washing powder and shampoo, that was it and no effect. We also went off on hols for 3 weeks and when we came back the smell was as bad. Maybe we should look into this again, cut back for a longer period.

Don't use biological washing powders either.

There should be a smell if the tanks working correctly but the gases producing the smell should be vented off above nose level.

• Advertisement
Advertisement