Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning water tank in attic

Options
  • 17-07-2018 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

Read a few threads on this and I think I know what needs to be done except for one thing. I read on one thread to make sure to plug the outlet for the shower so as not to clog it with silt. Does anyone know how to identify the shower outlet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You will most likely still get some down it.

Is it electric?

If so switch off mains, remove cover and you will see a filter and a turn screw where you can remove it and the water will flow out. There is a bleed screw here also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

mattcullen wrote: »
    Read a few threads on this and I think I know what needs to be done except for one thing. I read on one thread to make sure to plug the outlet for the shower so as not to clog it with silt. Does anyone know how to identify the shower outlet?

You could trace the shower feed back to the tank from where it would enter the attic

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You will definitely get dirt down the pipe so dont bother, as stated above if its electric, just open it up and clean out the filter.

Have done this many a time its easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mattcullen

Thanks all, It's electric so will do as advised.So I can removed the filter prior to draining and cleaning the tank, leave it open during the whole process and replace when finito?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Thanks all, It's electric so will do as advised.So I can removed the filter prior to draining and cleaning the tank, leave it open during the whole process and replace when finito?

No need as when you open it after it will flow and clear out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

It depends on what you have the patience for but this is how I do it: get a length of 1/2 copper pipe the depth of the tank, connect it to a length of garden hose down to the bath or toilet, out to the garden.
    get a siphon started and basically vacuum the bottom of the tank with the pipe, tie top the ball cock to stop any water flowing in.
    No dirt leaves the tank outlets

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭cupan_tae

Get a wet vac ? Plenty places hiring these now - am thinking to do myself at some stage but a lot on at the moment it's well down the list

cupan_tae wrote: »
    Get a wet vac ? Plenty places hiring these now - am thinking to do myself at some stage but a lot on at the moment it's well down the list
    wet vac gets very heavy up in the attic and then how do you empty it?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mattcullen

It depends on what you have the patience for but this is how I do it: get a length of 1/2 copper pipe the depth of the tank, connect it to a length of garden hose down to the bath or toilet, out to the garden.
    get a siphon started and basically vacuum the bottom of the tank with the pipe, tie top the ball cock to stop any water flowing in.
    No dirt leaves the tank outlets

Now there's an idea. Do you need the copper pipe? Could you not just use the hose on its own?

Now there's an idea. Do you need the copper pipe? Could you not just use the hose on its own?

think of the pipe as the rigid piece on a vacuum cleaner, much easier to focus from top of the water: qualplex would do either, as long as it is straight and not cut from a coil

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The hose would float, you'd need something to secure it in place if you wanted it to stay close to the bottom of the tank. The copper pipe wouldn't have that problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭cupan_tae

wet vac gets very heavy up in the attic and then how do you empty it?

The one I was looking at hiring has a 3.5 M extension. Your method would save hiring or buying anything - looks like a handy tip think I'll give it a shot as have copper pipe and garden hose in stock myself

Do you secure the hose to the pipe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Interesting plan. How often would you need to do this, I'm wondering about my own!

Also - presuming you'll wait till after the drought conditions have passed ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Prenderb wrote: »
    Interesting plan. How often would you need to do this, I'm wondering about my own!

Also - presuming you'll wait till after the drought conditions have passed ;)

...unless a carcass of some sort was found in the tank... ;):)

cupan_tae wrote: »

Do you secure the hose to the pipe ?

yes
    generally you will have to heat the hose in some hot water to make it pliable enough to take the 1/2 copper: a bit of fairy liquid on the copper will make pushing it in easier

Advertisement