Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refinishing Kitchen Worktop - Removing old sticky finish

Options
  • 17-07-2018 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Our wooden kitchen worktop has been sticky since the day we moved in to our house. I'm only getting around to sorting this now :D I started with the island last night and sanded it down, starting with a low grit. I probably should have used a stripper first as the existing finish, not sure what it was layers of oil or varnish on top of oil. Clogged up a fair few pads on the orbital sander.

So I'm wondering, there is still some areas with bits of the existing finish which need to be sanded off. Should I just keep going with the sander or get a stripper to ensure all traces are gone, then sand after? Any issues putting the stripper on areas that are sanded down and clear of the old finish?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Just in case anyone happens to come across this and wonder what I did. I used white spirits (well a type of, one of those 'safer' ones I had lying around) and steel wool and went over the wood a few times wiping off the oil with a rag as I went. After this the grain was raised (slightly hairy appearance) in places so let it dry overnight then used fine grit sandpaper to sand those bits smooth. Then used the orbital sander again to remove any remaining bits. Following that just a run over with the vacuum brush and a bit of a wipe down with white spirit dampened rag and it was ready for oiling. Any rags laid out flat to dry, wasnt sure about the rags with the oil that came off the with the white spirits but didnt take any risks :D

Advertisement