Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Oaks 2018

Options
  • 16-07-2018 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭

Who’s everybody looking at for the Irish Oaks this Saturday?

Magic Wand - 2/1
    Sea Of Class - 7/2
    Laurens - 5/1
    Forever Together - 6/1

11/1 bar

Surely Lauren’s won’t run here? If she does I’d have her as favourite. Hopefully all the big ones above show up

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

I'd like to see the relative shape of the field before trying to pick the winner. For instance I've been a huge fan of Magical Wand but would have an awful lot less faith in her if O'Brien also ran Forever Together in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Im looking forward to getting a look at Sea Of Class. Ive been really impressed by her in her runs this year.
    It is a no bet race for me at the moment and probably will be on the day.

I would be tempted to back her for the Arc @ 50's in the off chance she wins this well. However she is not currently entered and the supplement fee for the Arc is crazy. So she would need to win well to justify that supplement fee. All be it she has the right profile and owners.

kiers47 wrote: »
    Im looking forward to getting a look at Sea Of Class. Ive been really impressed by her in her runs this year.

I would be tempted to back her for the Arc @ 50's in the off chance she wins this well. However she is not currently entered and the supplement fee for the Arc is crazy. So she would need to win well to justify that supplement fee. All be it she has the right profile and owners.

The formline between Magic Wand, Forever Together and Sea Of Class via Princess Yaiza suggests that there's very little between the three with a slight advantage for Sea Of Class, but those were trial races and this will be a race where the winner will have improved 10lbs or more on those trial runs.

Haggis has the stable advantage after flattening Forever Together in the Matron with his Urban Fox, but the extra 2 furlongs of the Oaks should suit Forever Together.

Rather than folllowing the formlines, I think it might be best to consider the previous winners past trends to see if there's a bit of value to be had in the race.

tryfix wrote: »
    The formline between Magic Wand, Forever Together and Sea Of Class via Princess Yaiza suggests that there's very little between the three with a slight advantage for Sea Of Class, but those were trial races and this will be a race where the winner will have improved 10lbs or more on those trial runs.

Haggis has the stable advantage after flattening Forever Together in the Matron with his Urban Fox, but the extra 2 furlongs of the Oaks should suit Forever Together.

Rather than folllowing the formlines, I think it might be best to consider the previous winners past trends to see if there's a bit of value to be had in the race.

The problem with this race at the moment is there are so many still entered and it could well be a small field so taking a stab at one unless sure they are showing up is probably poor value regardless of price.

I backed Sarrochi at Ascot, she is definitely not a Group 1 filly but she shapes like a filly that is better than what she has shown.
    If she rocks up and is a 50/1 + poke i might just back her but tbh at the moment it looks a poor race to be getting involved in before final decs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Entries available here.

• Advertisement

Past winners and trends.

2008 Moonstone 2/1f Johnny Murtagh Aidan O'Brien

2nd @25/1 Epsom Oaks ( rpr 114 ), didn't run as a 2yo

2009 Sariska evens fav Jamie Spencer Michael Bell

1st @ 9/4f Epsom Oaks ( rpr 122 ), had one run at 2 when won a 7f maiden

2010 Snow Fairy 7/2 Ryan Moore Ed Dunlop

1st @ 9/1 Epsom Oaks ( rpr 116 ), ran 6 tmes as a 2yo from 6f to 7f with a 3rd in the Gp3 Prestige Stakes being her best form.

2011 Blue Bunting 5/2 Frankie Dettori Mahmood Al Zarooni

4th @ 9/4f Epsom Oaks ( 109 ), won English 1,000 Guineas ( rpr 116 ), won listed 1m race as a 2yo.

2012 Great Heavens 5/4f William Buick John Gosden

1st @ 11/4f Lancashire Oaks Gp2 ( rpr 115 ), one unplaced run over a mile as a 2yo.

2013 Chicquita 9/2 Johnny Murtagh Alain de Royer-Dupré

2nd @ 25/1 to Treve in the French Oaks 1m 2 1/f ( rpr 112 ), ran once as a 2yo over 1m 1f

2014 Bracelet 10/1 Colm O'Donoghue Aidan O'Brien

1st @ 10/1 Ribblesdale Stakes Gp2 ( rpr 107 ), ran twice as a 2yo winning a maiden over 7f.

2015 Covert Love 7/1 Pat Smullen Hugo Palmer

1st @ 3/1 Hoppings Stakes Listed 1m 2f ( rpr 112 ), one unplaced run in 1m all weather maiden as a 2yo.

2016 Seventh Heaven 14/1 Seamie Heffernan Aidan O'Brien

A hampered 6th beaten 33L @ 20/1 Epsom Oaks ( rpr 65 ), won Listed Lingfield Oaks Trial beating subsequent Epsom Oaks 2nd Architecture ( rpr 100 ), 2 runs as a 2yo when best placed effort 4th in a Newmarket maiden.

2017 Enable 2/5f Frankie Dettori John Gosden

1st @ 6/1 Epsom Oaks ( rpr 123 ), impressive winner of Cheshire Oaks ( rpr 111 ), one run and won a 1m all weather maiden as a 2yo.

It takes a classy filly to win this race.

convert wrote: »
    Entries available here.

1. 8134 Bye Bye Baby (IRE) b f Galileo-Remember When(Danehill Dancer) 16/1

Rated 108 A P O'Brien

2. 31-4 Dramatic Queen (USA) ch f Kitten's Joy-Midnight Music(Dubawi) 33/1

William Haggas

3. 5461 Easter Lily (IRE) ch f Galileo-Chanting(Danehill) 16/1

A P O'Brien

4. -212 Forever Together (IRE) b f Galileo-Green Room(Theatrical) 11/2

A P O'Brien

5. 21-9 Liquid Amber (USA) ch f Kitten's Joy-Pachattack(Pulpit) 16/1

W McCreery

6. 3141 Magic Wand (IRE) b f Galileo-Prudenzia(Dansili) 7/4

A P O'Brien

7. 44-4 Magical (IRE) b f Galileo-Halfway To Heaven(Pivotal) 12/1

A P O'Brien

8. -172 Mary Tudor (IRE) gr f Dawn Approach-Antiquities(Kaldounevees) 25/1

W McCreery

9. 442 Park Bloom (IRE) b f Galileo-Alluring Park(Green Desert) 66/1

J S Bolger

10. 16 Romiyna (IRE) b f Nathaniel-Rose Quartz(Lammtarra) 25/1

D K Weld

11. 211 Sea of Class (IRE) ch f Sea The Stars-Holy Moon(Hernando) 5/2

William Haggas

12. 323- September (IRE) b f Deep Impact-Peeping Fawn(Danehill) 10/1

A P O'Brien

13. 3032 Sizzling (IRE) ch f Galileo-Weekend Strike(Smart Strike) 33/1

A P O'Brien

14. 2215 Tissiak (IRE) b f Fastnet Rock-Belesta(Xaar) 33/1

Joseph Patrick O'Brien

15. -211 Worth Waiting (GB) b f Bated Breath-Salutare(Sadler's Wells) 40/1

David Lanigan

Prices = Paddy Power odds

That's a grand field for the race.

1. 8134 Bye Bye Baby (IRE) b f Galileo-Remember When(Danehill Dancer)

A P O'Brien

2. -212 Forever Together (IRE) b f Galileo-Green Room(Theatrical)

A P O'Brien

3. 3141 Magic Wand (IRE) b f Galileo-Prudenzia(Dansili)

A P O'Brien

4. -172 Mary Tudor (IRE) gr f Dawn Approach-Antiquities(Kaldounevees)

W McCreery

5. 16 Romiyna (IRE) b f Nathaniel-Rose Quartz(Lammtarra)

D K Weld

6. 211 Sea of Class (IRE) ch f Sea The Stars-Holy Moon(Hernando)

William Haggas

7. 2215 Tissiak (IRE) b f Fastnet Rock-Belesta(Xaar)

Joseph Patrick O'Brien

It's a shame that the field has been reduced so much, but it was always about the front three who have all stood their ground.

There seems to be huge confidence about Magic Wand, but she has plenty to prove at the price. I've backed Forever Together whose last run over what looked like an inadequate trip wasn't all that bad with Athena the third that day going on to win a grade 1 in America.

Come on Donnacha, do it again.:)

Would like to see Sea of Class win it. But I couldn't see myself backing one in this unless the market goes crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

The rain going to suit any of these?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

The rain going to suit any of these?
    Forever Together turns into the most likely winner if it gets some cut..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

No more rain scheduled between now and tomorrow... we did get a lot but I'd say that dried up fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,378 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Sea Of Class for me, big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭antietam

IMO Sea of Class has to find plenty to trouble Magic Wand/Forever Together.Sea of Class has only won on flat left handed track and never beyond Listed company so this is a major step up in class on a stiff right handed track. Persian Lion 8/1 in the last has to be a serious player and is seriously over priced.A horse to watch and put in your tracker is Kloud Gate 33/1 Newbury 2.25.20/1 last night so a drifter today but is in top shape and would laugh at these if asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭mick malones mauser

Kloud Gate second at 33s
    Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Love the Newbury super sprint, going to have a min ew on Casablanco with 6 places 40/1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭tinpib

Think ITV could easily leave Francesca Cumani as host, she seems comfortable today, Ed "Guy Smillie" Chamberlain can be a bit of a pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

Sea Of grace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

That's a brilliant ride

I thought it was a poor ride! Horse lost lengths coming wide but still had the CLAAS to get the jockey out of trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Great ride and didn't pick up the stick once, She looks all class.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭famagusta

I thought it was a poor ride! Horse lost lengths coming wide but still had the CLAAS to get the jockey out of trouble.

That was a great ride, didn't lose lengths anywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ANDREWMUFC

Why was the commentator on RTE calling it “Sea Of Grace”

• Registered Users Posts: 35,677 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

''two people who kicked the bucket''

that's a nice line to blurt out after a tribute to Laura Barry

Personally I hate seeing horses at the Curragh having to come from far outside in. Sea Of Class had so much in hand it wasn't an issue.

Do not care either way, winner alright.

1. 8134 Bye Bye Baby (IRE) b f Galileo-Remember When(Danehill Dancer)

A P O'Brien

2. -212 Forever Together (IRE) b f Galileo-Green Room(Theatrical)

A P O'Brien

3. 3141 Magic Wand (IRE) b f Galileo-Prudenzia(Dansili)

A P O'Brien

4. -172 Mary Tudor (IRE) gr f Dawn Approach-Antiquities(Kaldounevees)

W McCreery

5. 16 Romiyna (IRE) b f Nathaniel-Rose Quartz(Lammtarra)

D K Weld

6. 211 Sea of Class (IRE) ch f Sea The Stars-Holy Moon(Hernando)

William Haggas

7. 2215 Tissiak (IRE) b f Fastnet Rock-Belesta(Xaar)

Joseph Patrick O'Brien

It's a shame that the field has been reduced so much, but it was always about the front three who have all stood their ground.

There seems to be huge confidence about Magic Wand, but she has plenty to prove at the price. I've backed Forever Together whose last run over what looked like an inadequate trip wasn't all that bad with Athena the third that day going on to win a grade 1 in America.

Come on Donnacha, do it again
    .:)

Ah well... he nearly did it but the Haggis team had his measure and that was that. I was happy enough to think that Forever Together would be value against a hyped Magic Wand and that proved true.

How the hell did Magic Wand end up going off at odds on against an Epsom Oaks winner and an in form classy Haggis runner? To run such a stinker after being so fancied is bizarre, also Ryan didn't exactly ride her to achieve a best placed finish which seems like something that should be clamped down in.

Kloud Gate second at 33s
    Well done
    Not good enough as we backed it last week at 50/1, e/w is not an option.You win or nothing the trainer knows that.We absolutely believe we have the best bumper horse for Cheltenham as good as Montelado,Mullins knows this [has tried buy to him]as Rich Richie wants away from Mullins.

Good win from Sea of Grace she was the obvious one for me but the price was scandalous so I had no bet. Good to see her win thiugh

Ah well... he nearly did it but the Haggis team had his measure and that was that. I was happy enough to think that Forever Together would be value against a hyped Magic Wand and that proved true.

How the hell did Magic Wand end up going off at odds on against an Epsom Oaks winner and an in form classy Haggis runner? To run such a stinker after being so fancied is bizarre, also Ryan didn't exactly ride her to achieve a best placed finish which seems like something that should be clamped down in.

Five[5] BHA vets were on site to test every horse and they carried out tests over the last month in Irish stables which the seriously infested HRI refused to do.

• Advertisement

kiers47 wrote: »

Wish I took that 50/1 best price 20/1 now. Ah well she is a nice filly in fairness and there is definitely more to come

Advertisement