Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to understand tides and best time to surf

Options
  • 16-07-2018 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi guys,

Im reasonably new to surfing, didnt start until my mid 30's and ive probably been at it nearly 2 years now. Really happy with my progression but an awful long way to go.

I surf in Donegal at either Tullan Strand in Bundoran or at Rossnowlagh (always my preference if the conditions are right)

Generally im quite lucky with the waves, more often than not its been fine for my ability but recently it has seemed really flat whenever ive been. I know that can be unavoidable but I think its time I started checking the tides etc to hopefully ensure im out at the best time.

What am I looking for please? I read elsewhere that midway between high and lowtide is good, when the tide is coming in.

Is that a correct general guideline, or if not, what should I be looking for?

Thanks very much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

There is a very good book called surf science -it's about weather forecasting but covers tides too. Well worth a read.

If I were you I would see if you can book a 1:1 level 2 lesson with one of the surf schools or a smaller group lesson. You'd probably get a lot out of it and get your questions answerd, what you spend on the lesson will be paid pack 10 fold it catching waves less wasted trips....

Lookup rule of 12'ths and tides too. Also in youtube, white board wednesday.

Basically and the tide is turning it's slack, not as strong as when it's flooding or ebbing, at mid tide. So in theory on the push of the tide it's easier for better waves to get to the bay. Then some beaches have sand banks that work at different stages of the tide. Some reefs are dry at low tide so can't be surfed, others are too deep at high tide.

Some beaches like Strandhill it's difficult to get in and out when the tide is up on the rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Get yourself on of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wave-finder-Surf-Guide-UK-Ireland/dp/0958172641

Lists the breaks with a decent topo and shows the best peaks and times to surf them

when you find a spot you like the sound of, check if it has a web came and log in on optimal tides and swell direction - if you cant head there and see what a difference light offshores, decent pulse and ideal swell directions make

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Fermanagh Matt

Thanks for the replies, Im driving to the coast this morning so can hopefully see how it compares to what the tide reports saying

Advertisement