Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Informal Separation

Options
  • 16-07-2018 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am 36 years old and 7 years legally married to an Irish man and it's been 2 years that we are living in Dublin. I am a citizen in Ireland too and studied and work 4 days a week. My husband is not able to have a child and other than that has some inborn problems with his masculinity. I knew his issues before our marriage and ignored them. And I did my best to make it work during all these years but it is getting difficult and untolerable for me as I am still young and would like to end this marriage and meet someone else and become a mother in the future.
    I have 2 questions:
    He is going abroad for a mission for 3 years and I will stay in Dublin in order to test myself and see how things go in a separated mode. I am 100% sure that I can't get back to him but I'd liek to know if I need to file for legal separation from now? If for example, 1 years passes and I go and file, will this 1 year be considered into account or goes to waste?
    My second question is:
    If during my separation, I meet someone new and decide to move in with him, is it alright by law or I will get into trouble?
    I'd like to know if anyone has reliable and update information in this regard. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

The four year waiting period refers to four years of living apart. Technically, this would apply but I wonder if it would be recognised because you weren't living apart for reasons of marital breakdown. There's a bit of intentional ambiguity around this, because you can be considered living apart even if you're in the same house under certain circumstances.

Adultery isn't illegal, you just couldn't get married to a new partner until your divorce clears. But from start to finish the process can take a long time.

Few questions:

1) If you want a divorce, why can't you just talk to him first and tell him how you feel? Why would you wait for him to leave and be deceptive?

2) This is just to satisfy my own curiosity, what mission? Is he a secret agent or a mormon?

As always with this things, chat to a solicitor.

Advertisement